55. Wedding dramas (part 1)

Today's the day. My brother's wedding. I can't shift the nerves. I'm worried. Matt said it was fine that Chris came. He's excited to meet him. But people are gonna recognise him. I hope it doesn't ruin the wedding or get into the news. So many things could go wrong. 

I stand in front of my mirror, patting out the dress. I'm ready. My mum's friend came over earlier to sort out our hair. I've got loose curls. I take a deep breath. Chris is getting ready in the spare room. I haven't seen him yet, but I just know he's going to look so handsome. I'll look so odd next to him. Shaking off the thoughts, I grab my phone and slip out of my room, before heading downstairs. I hear my mum and Chris talking. Quietly, I push open the living room door and slip inside. Chris's eyes catch me and he stops, mid-sentence. 

"Whoa..." He breathes out. It causes my mum to turn around and she smiles widely. 

"Oh, darling! You look stunning! Oh this dress is beautiful." She beams and I let out a laugh. 

"Ain't t-too shabby, aye?" 

"You're beautiful." Chris says with a wide smile and I blush deeply, biting my lip. 

"You l-look pretty g-good yourself." I answer, blushing deeper. He's gorgeous. Oh my god. I could drag him away and fuck the living daylights out of him right now. He's in a dark blue three-piece suit, with a white shirt and brown, red and blue tie. It looks like the one he wore to a Winter Solider premiere. 

"Come on, we're taking some photos outside before we go!" My mum announces, clapping her hands together

"Come on, we're taking some photos outside before we go!" My mum announces, clapping her hands together. She hurries into the kitchen and out to the garden. I laugh softly and roll my eyes. Chris doesn't seem to take his eyes off me.

"You're so gorgeous, Megs." My blush returns. Megs. Oh my. Only my mum ever calls me that, but I've noticed Chris dropping it a couple of times. I'm a fan. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. 

"Says you." He chuckles and rolls his eyes. "I'm, like, a p-puddle of mmess down there." He smirks, arching that damn eyebrow. 

"You don't say?" He places a hand on my lower back, leading me towards the kitchen. "In that case, I might just have to drag you away at some point today, have my wicked way with you." He whispers, not helping my situation. 

Chris takes a few photos of us. Photos of me, mum and Martyn. Photos of just me and mum. Photos of mum and Martyn. 

"You two, get in together! Let's take a photo of you." 

"Muuuum," 

"I won't take no for an answer. You don't mind, do you Chris?" He grins and shakes his head, pulling me close. 

"Not at all." He settles a hand on my hip and we flash a smile, waiting for the snap of the camera. 

"Ah, so gorgeous!" My mum chirps with a wide smile. 

The car ride to the venue is pretty far; almost an hour. My brother's fianceè's family owns it. They're pretty posh and rich. 

A lot of people are already there when we arrive. We find my brother in the entrance hall, welcoming people in with the ushers before the ceremony starts. He says hi to us all and then I introduce Chris. 

"Matt, th-this is Chris. Chris, this is m-my brother Matt." 

"Good to meet you, mate." Chris says with a smile, shaking his hand. 

"Right back at you, bud! Gotta be honest, I was pretty shocked when my little sister told me Captain America was her plus one." 

"Ah, yes, well, it didn't seem right to let her come alone." Chris answers with a shrug. "And who doesn't love a wedding?" Matt let's out a laugh and nods. 

"You guys are front row. The ceremony is in the garden. Be starting in about a quarter of an hour." We all nod and then make our way out into the garden. It's pretty fucking huge. This place is like a castle. 

"Some garden." I mumble and Chris smiles over at me. 

"Even bigger than mine." He says and I laugh. 

"It is!" My eyes wander slightly at all the people. There's quite a lot. And many of them seem to catch sight of Chris, recognising him. I gulp, hearing muffled whispers. I wonder what they're saying. What they're thinking. I can tell Chris is just trying to ignore it. I just want to hold his hand, but I can't. 

The ceremony is as ceremony goes. Lots of speaking. Vows. Ring exchanges. Smiles. And then the big kiss. Everyone claps and cheers. And it's over, just like that. Well, until the photographs, and everyone standing around drinking, waiting to be led to the 'dining area'. It's outside, in a big marquee. Well, not too big. The tables are still pretty squashed together. The dinner is a hog roast. Chris and I indulge in conversation amongst ourselves, laughing and smiling. He cracks stupid jokes and does childish things. He always makes everything feel easy. When I'm with him, everything is easier. I feel so at ease. 

Once the speeches are done, the reception kicks off. There's a live band. A few people get up to dance. A lot more get up for more alcohol. 

"So, are you having fun?" Chris asks me with a smile and I snort, making him laugh. "Aw, come on, it's not that bad." I laugh too, shrugging. "I'm gonna go to the toilet. When I return, you better be having fun." He demands playfully, rising to his feet. 

"Alright, boss." He chuckles and slips through the crowd. 

"He likes you." My mum whispers to me, leaning in close. Oh man. Here we go. 

 "Mum," 

"No, no. Let me say this. I know you don't wanna hear it, but it's true. The way he looks at you, the way he acts around you, the way he talks about you. He lights up whenever you're around, Meg. He's crazy about you." I exhale deeply, biting my lip. I hate lying to her. I really do. I need to tell her. I'm going to talk to Chris about it again. I can keep it up with anyone else, but my mum... "It's just a matter of time before he realises and does something about it." 

"Mum," 

"Alright, alright. I'll let it go... for now." I nudge her lightly and she laughs. Chris returns shortly after. 

"Having fun yet?" He asks. 

"Oh, absolutely. Time of m-my life." With a smile, he rolls his eyes. 

"You don't have to be sarcastic about it." 

"Sorry, can't help it."

Shortly after, Matt and Lizzie have their first dance. We watch from the sidelines in the corner, keeping out of the way. I watch in awe, smiling weakly. From the corner of my eye, I see Chris looking at me. "What?" He smiles and shakes his head. 

"Nothing." I narrow my eyes at him and he laughs. "What? Am I not allowed to look at you?" 

"Hm. No." 

"That's outrageous." He says dramatically, making me laugh and shake my head. 

"You're such a dork."

"Yes, yes I am."