91. The next step

A long and sleepless ten hours later and we're landing in the UK. Of course, there's still a train journey to go until we're back in my hometown. It feels strange to have Chris next to me every step of the way. Whenever one of us isn't looking, the other ends up staring, as if we're both scared the other is going to disappear if we dare look away. Or if we suddenly wake up from a dream. Is this a dream? Am I going to wake up any minute now, back in my bed in Boston? Oh, god, I hope not. Not unless this whole ordeal has been a horrible dream and I wake up January first again.

"What you thinking?" Chris whispers to me, taking me out of my thoughts.

"How horrible it would be if this was a dream." I confess, dropping my head onto his shoulder.

"Yeah, I can't say I'm not afraid of that either. I'm terrified of closing my eyes in case I open them back up and you're gone." I smile weakly, squeezing his hand.

"I won't go anywhere if you d-don't." I bargain, glancing up at him and he smiles widely.

"Deal." He answers, giving me a quick peck on the lips. "You know, we should do some shopping before we go back to your house."

"Ah, shit, yeah. We nnneed to get you some m-more clothes." At this, he smirks a little.

"Well, yeah, but I was thinking more on the sexual health and wellbeing side of things." He whispers to me, causing me to furrow my eyebrows in confusion. His eyebrow arches as his smirk widens. Sexual health and well-- Then it hits me. Oh. Condoms. I nudge his side lightly, making him burst out laughing.

"You have, like, l-literally nothing on you, and that's all you can think about!?" I ask, unintentionally laughing. He shrugs.

"I mean, I can always pull out again if you like. Really live life on the edge. Third time's a charm they say." He says easily with a wink, making me blush deeply and I nudge him again.

"Oh my god, shut up!" I whisper shout and he laughs again.

"You're so adorable. I've really missed you." I bite my lip, blush deepening.

"We'll drop m-my stuff at home first, catch my mum up, th-then we'll do some shopping..."

"Sounds good to me. How much does your mum hate me?" I laugh softly and shake my head.

"She doesn't hate you..." He raises his eyebrows. "She doesn't! G-Granted, she hasn't b-been your biggest fan recently, but I'm sure she'll get over that once she sees you." He chuckles and shakes his head.

"I'll hold you to that."

Roughly an hour later, we're outside my house. I take a deep breath, nervous for some reason. My mum really doesn't hate him, I know that. But how is she going to react? Will she give him an earful? I gently knock on the door. The dogs start barking. A few seconds pass, then the door swings open. My mum is on the other side, about to launch at me, until she sees Chris. Her eyes widen and she stops dead.

"Hi mum..." I utter anxiously and Chris smiles nervously.

"Hey there--"

"What are you doing here?"

"Mum--" I say, giving her a warning look. Chris gulps.