87. Two options

"You've gone quiet." I state, a couple of minutes into our so far silent drive. Meg shrugs, looking out the window. "How's your hand?"

"Fine..." She mumbles, before glancing over at my hands on the steering wheel. "How's yours?" I sigh deeply, glancing at my bloody hand.

"It'll be fine. Forget about it." She goes quiet again.

"How's the other g-guy look?" She asks finally and I glance over to see her smiling slightly. I smile a bit too.

"Pretty fucked up." She narrows her eyes at me and I laugh. "Don't worry, I only punched him a couple of times..."

"Hmm.."

"Three times." She lets out a weak laugh, shaking her head. My smile widens.

"You shouldn't have. What if he d-does go to the cops?"

"He won't, don't worry." She sighs. "I'm sorry, okay? But he deserved it. Hell, he deserves a lot worse than a broken nose and black eye."

"You b-broke his nose?" I shrug lightly.

"I hit him harder than I hit your brother, and I broke his nose." She glances down at her lap. "Did you mean what you said before? About... me being the one that killed you?" I ask nervously and she sighs.

"It's just a s-saying. F-Forget about it." It goes quiet again. I turn the radio on. Just as I do, I'll be there for you comes on; the Friends theme. I start smiling. This aught to cheer her up. She looks at me, narrowing her eyes, already knowing what's coming. I turn the volume up. "Don't,"

"So no one told you life was gonna be this waaay... your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's DOAAAA," She smiles and raises her eyebrows at me. "It's like you're always stuck in second geeeear... when it hasn't been your day, your week, your month or even your yeeeear! But I'll be there for yoooou, when the rain starts to pooouur! I'll be there for yoooou, like I've been there befoooore! I'll be there for yoooou, cause you're there for me tooooooo!" She cracks an uncontrollable laugh, shaking her head and nudging me.

"Stop it."

"Come on, Meg. I can't do it alone. I know you want to." She smiles again, trying so hard not to. I smile widely. God, I've missed that smile. "AND I'LL BE THERE FOR YOOOOU, WHEN THE RAIN STARTS TO POUUUR! I'LL BE THERE FOR YOOOOU, LIKE I'VE BEEN THERE BEFOOOOORE! I'LL BE THERE FOR YOOOOU, CAUSE YOU'RE THERE FOR ME TOOOOOO!" I yell passionately, making her laugh harder.

"Oh my god, you're such an idiot." She says between giggles, grinning. I raise my eyebrows playfully and she shakes her head, joining in. "Someone to face the day with, make it through all the rest with, someone I'll always laugh with, even at my worst, I'm best with yoooooouuu, yeah!"

We both belt out the chorus, throwing our arms out dramatically, bursting out laughing. It's like how things used to be. And I miss it so much. I miss her so much.

Soon enough, we're parked outside her apartment building. "I'll walk you inside." She nods an okay and we both hop out. I lock the car and then follow Meg inside. The walk to her apartment is pretty silent. When we arrive at the front door, she struggles to find her key. "I got it." I say, grabbing my keys out of my pocket. I find hers and unlock the door, pushing it open slightly.

"Thanks." She mumbles, walking inside.

"You're welcome." She turns back to face me.

"Do you wanna... come in?" I nod quickly.

"Sure, yeah--" I step inside and close the door behind me. "I'm just gonna--" I raise my bloody hand and she nods, before I walk to the sink and wash the blood off my hand. Then I grab the tea towel and dry my hands.