52. Kind of a party

Today is Saturday. I'm getting ready to go to Jamie's for his 'small gathering'. God, I hope it is small. I don't know any of his other friends. Only Zach and Malcolm. And I'm not exactly buddy buddy with either of them. 

Before I head over there, I give my mum a ring to see if she reckons Chris will be allowed to come to the wedding. Within a few rings, she answers. 

"Hello, darling!" 

"Hey, mum. How are y-you doing?" 

"Yeah, I'm good. How are you? How's Chris and work?" 

"Yeah, all r-really good. He finished sh-shooting a couple of d-days ago." 

"Have you let him know about your brother's wedding? Have you got a dress?" 

"N-Not yet. I'm gonna g-go and b-buy one next week." 

"Meggie Lou, you are terrible. Let's hope you can find one." I laugh softly. 

"It'll be fine. Anyway, m-mum, I need to ask you s-something." 

"Yeah?" 

"It's about the wedding. Have I still g-got a p-plus one?" 

"I think so, yeah. Why? Have you met someone?" She asks excitedly. Oh dear. I smile and roll my eyes. 

"No, no. N-Nothing like that. It's just.. w-well, Chris wants to come." There's a small pause. 

"Chris as in Chris Evans, your sexy, famous boss?" She questions and I let out a small laugh. 

"Yep." 

"Why the hell does he want to come to your brother's wedding?" 

"He wants to v-visit my hometown." 

"Oh Meg, don't pull this bullshit. There's definitely more to it!" Oh shit. I laugh nervously. 

"There's not!" 

"Coming all this way, with the potential of getting papped and everything? He's into you, Megs." 

"He's j-just a good friend. He could t-tell I was d-dreading it, so offered to c-come as support. And he does want to s-see my hometown." 

"Hmmmm, yeah, sounds like a very good friend." 

"Muuuuum." She laughs. 

"I'm just saying... you should be open to the possibility that he likes you, Megs." My lips stretch into an uncontrollable smile. 

"Anyway... do you th-think it would be okay if he came?" 

"Absolutely." 

"Matt would be alright about it?" 

"Well, you're allowed a plus one. You can't help that your plus one is famous. I'm sure it'll be fine, honey. Speak to him about it when you come back." 

"And if he s-says no?" 

"Then Chris can look after the dogs while we're there." She jokes, making me laugh. 

"He'd probably l-love that, to be honest. In his element." She laughs again. 

"You should definitely bring him along. I'd like to meet him." 

"Alright, well, I'm j-just about to head out, so I g-gotta go. I'll call you s-soon." 

"Okay, honey. That's fine. Speak to you soon, love you."