30. Panic lies

Meg's POV
The following morning, I wake up pretty early, having not had much sleep in the night. I can't stop thinking about what happened between Chris and I. We may have been high... but we were coming down by that point. We both knew what was happening. We were aware of our actions. It meant something. That wasn't like anything I've ever experienced before. I felt things I thought I could only ever dream of. It had to have meant something to Chris too. He kissed back. He asked me if it was okay. He was going to... The way he kissed me. You don't kiss just anyone like that. Maybe I wasn't crazy to think he could feel the same things I do. Maybe he'll come to my room today and confess that he has feelings for me, and then we can pick up where we left off yesterday. My lips stretch into a wide smile, and I bite my lip, snuggling into the bedsheets. Maybe dating Chris Evans isn't so unrealistic after all.

At that moment, there's a light knock on my hotel room door. My heart skips a beat. Oh boy. This has to be him. Gaaaah! I quickly throw the duvet off me and hop out of the bed. Okay, compose yourself. Act natural. Be cool. I take a deep breath, before walking up to the door and opening it. Chris is on the other side, and he looks slightly anxious, to be honest. I smile softly. Be cooool. "Morning!"

"Morning! Hey!" He chirps, running a hand through his hair. I wonder if he's okay. "Man, we got so high last night, didn't we?" He says with a small laugh, and I laugh too, nodding.

"Yeah, I guess we did."

"I don't remember a thing." And suddenly, I come crashing back down to reality. I try my best to not make my disappointment obvious. I laugh nervously, glancing down.

"Yeah, it's a little fuzzy."

"Definitely didn't need that brownie."

"Nope!"

"Anyway, I was thinking we could go to the Van Gogh museum! Make us look a bit cultured." He jokes and I laugh once again, nodding.

"Sure. Just give me twenty m-minutes to get ready."

"Yeah, course! Text me when you're ready." I nod gently and then slowly shut the door, before exhaling deeply, as I lean against it. I can't believe I thought--- I'm a fucking idiot. Tears start to uncontrollably brew in my eyes. Fuck. I need to pull myself together.

Chris's POV
Meg shuts the door slowly, and when it's fully closed, I sigh, dropping my forehead against it. Shit. That was shit. Why did I lie? Was it really the best thing to do? But... she doesn't remember it either. So. It was the best thing to do. Or maybe she just said that because I did.... fuck sake. I've screwed this up majorly.

Meg's POV
After I get ready, I meet Chris back outside and we go to the Van Gogh museum and then the Ann Frank house. We fly back to Boston in the afternoon, so don't get to do a whole lot before we have to make our way to the airport. We're quite... quiet, for the whole day. We don't say too much, and we don't laugh, or even make much eye contact. It leaves me rather confused. Does he remember what happened? Does he just regret it?

As much as I loved Amsterdam, I'm relieved to land back in America after the way it ended. Scott comes and picks me and Chris up from the airport. We both throw our bags in the back and then hop into the car.

"Soooooo, how was it!?" Scott beams excitedly. "I want to hear alllll about it. Everything you did!" I nervously glance over at Chris.

"Um, yeah, it was brilliant! We went to the dungeons, and madame Tussauds. And played glow in the dark mini golf." He answers.

"Oohhhh, that sounds fun! Did you get high?" He asks playfully, raising his eyebrows. Chris chuckles.

"Uhhh, yeah, we...dabbled. Think we had a bit too much. Neither of us remember a thing..."