8. It's grey area

"Jamie," I murmur, as we both sit in my apartment, watching Rick and Morty on Netflix. He glances over at me.

"Hm?"

"Could... could I really be fired for talking to one of the actors?" I quiz. Maybe it's just a threat, so I don't set out to talk to them. "Like, could Richard actually fire me?"

"Well, the girl before me... she was fired for it." My eyes widen. Shit. So not just a threat. "But, to be fair, she was found sucking off one of the leads in a cleaning cupboard." He adds, and somehow my eyes widen even more. Holy shit. "He was meant to be filming at the time, and Richard was almost fired for it. So I think now he just cuts all communication to make sure it doesn't happen again."

"Jesus." He laughs.

"But if you're subtle about it, I think you'll be alright talking to Chris. Just don't suck him off in a cleaning cupboard, yeah?" He jokes and I roll my eyes, unintentionally blushing.

"Very funny." He laughs harder.

"But seriously, just be subtle. Richard hasn't caught you guys talking yet, has he?" I shake my head gently. "See, you're fine. The girl before me... apparently she wasn't smart, or even interested in the industry. She was only interested in banging people in the industry. That's not you. Richard doesn't pay enough attention to you to notice you and Chris talking."

"I guess so... I just... I don't want to risk it. It's a shitty job, but I need it. It's not easy finding a new job." He smiles softly and nods.

"Yeah, I get it." I sigh deeply. So, so complicated.

Chris's POV
It's been a few days since this mystery girl told me she's not allowed to talk to me. I still see her around, from a distance, either doing some mad job, being clumsy, or getting yelled at by who I assume to be her boss.

I need to know more about her. I need her name. But would it be creepy to get her name without her knowing? How would I even do that in a way that wasn't stalkerish? Shit. This has never happened to me before.

"Mate, what's on your mind?" Josh asks, sucking me out of my thoughts. I snap my eyes to him.

"Hm?"

"Something's bothering you."

"It's nothing..." Shit. Just ask him, Chris. I take a deep breath. "It's just... well, look... I know it's your last couple of weeks before you go travelling, but... I need a favour."

"This wouldn't have anything to do with that girl, would it?" He asks with a half smile. He knows me too well. I clench one of my fists, shooting up from the chair.

"I need to know her name, Josh!" I declare desperately, which makes him laugh.

"You need to?"

"Yes! It's driving me nuts! Please, bro. This is the last thing I'll ask you to do. Just... get her name in a completely legal and uncreepy way." Once again, he laughs and lets out a sigh.

"Alright, seeing as it would mean so much to you, I'll get her name." I smile widely and fist bump the air.

"You're the best assistant ever, Josh." Smiling, he rolls his eyes.

***

"Megan Louise Hughes." Josh announces, tossing a file onto the kitchen counter in my trailer. My heart skips a beat. I glance at the file, then at Josh.

"What's that?"

"It's her file. It's got her CV and everything in."

"You stole her file!? Josh, I said to find out her name legally!"

"I did... kinda. It's grey area. What's the harm? She's originally from the UK, y'know. She moved here just over six months ago. This job pays her hardly anything, so she's got a second job on the side--"

"No, no, sh. This feels wrong..."

"Look, if this whole thing about her being fired if she's caught talking to you is true, then this is your ticket out of that pit. You can go to her other work and talk to her there."

"No. I can't. It's essentially stalking. It's creepy. It's wrong."

"Just take a look at the file. It's just like looking at her social media."

"Which is also wrong." Josh smiles slightly.

"Everyone stalks people's social media, grandpa." He says, before leaving my trailer. I exhale deeply, staring down the file. I can't. I can't open it. I can't read it. It's invading her privacy, and that's wrong. I know her name. That's all I wanted. Just her name. Megan Louise Hughes. Megan. Meg. I smile slightly. Meg. It definitely suits her. Yeah, she's definitely a Meg. I glance back at the file, tapping my fingers on the counter. Fuck. I quickly open the file, biting the end of my finger.