Chapter 31 - " I hate slow dancing"

" I had plans you know?" I glared playfully at him.

" sitting on the couch watching tv is not exactly what I would call a plan" Harry chuckled.

" a Friends marathon sounds perfect to me" I shook my head.

" ok couch potato" he smirked.

The driver started the car and sped out of the alley way.

" where are we going Harry?" I said looking out the window as the driver began leaving the theater.

" it's a surprise" he said with the same witty smirk.

The driver turned onto the busy street of New York City and surprisingly there wasn't as much traffic as usual. The further we went the less car were in sight. As soon as we reached the highway I became more confused.

" where could we even go with the clothes we're in? We could have atleast went home a changed" I said looking back at him.

" trust me, you look perfect" he said looking away from me.

I rolled my eyes with a small smile but continued to look at him.

" why is Jess avoiding me, Harry?" I asked.

" I think you're exagerating Cailin" he shook his head.

I knew there was something they were hiding from me. Harry's tone was different, like he wanted to talk about anything else except about Jess.

" she's not even living with us anymore" I said lifting my arms up.

" Jess just doesn't want to be our shadow while she goes after her modeling career" he tried explaining but I could still tell that he was hiding something.

" so I'm supposed to believe that it was a coicidence that she started feeling this way immediately after I ended up in the hospital?" I said to said.

Harry's grip on the car seat tightened, knowing that I had struck a chord in him. My eyes slowly searched his face for another reaction but nothing came out. He didn't respond. he didn't even look at me. The sudden feeling that all this was my fault hit me like a truck. I had made all the wrong decisions. I was the one who had let Carter into my life and ruined every piece of dignity I had left.

" just tell me how I can fix this" I shook my head as tears started streaming down my cheeks.

Harry immediately turned his face towards mine. His eyes watched my tears and the only thing I could think to do was turn away. I was sick and tired of everyone watching me cry. I was sick of just plain crying. This wasn't the old me. I was stronger than this.

Harry's hand touched my cheek gently and I slowly looked at him again. His expression had completely changed. His expression was soft yet worried.

" it has nothing to do with you Cailin" he spoke softly wiping my tears away.

" of course it has" I shook my head.

Harry starred at me for what seemed like forever. His green eyes pierced through mine and I couldn't fight them back.

" it just reminded Jess about something that happened in our past, Cailin. It has nothing to with what you did and how you handled it" he said still looking at me.

" what happened?" I asked.

Harry quickly pulled his hand away from me and went back to the end of the car. He looked out the window and I could see his wall being built up again.

" Harry..." I called him.

But no response was given. Instead of pushing him past his limits I decided to leave it alone. I was going to find out somehow, I had to.