Chapter 51 - " Happy Birthday!"

" why can't you just tell me where we are going?" I asked not be able to handle the suspense anymore.

" of course I can't! Harry's going to murder me if I do" Jess laughed.

By now I already knew they were all doing a surprise for me. Honestly I hadn't really expected anything for my birthday. Harry and I had been fighting a lot, Louis and I weren't talking, and nothing felt right about doing anything special. But Harry and Jess insisted.

And they weren't telling me anything about it. Jess just gave me options from my closet to wear. I ended up going for a black and white dress that was simple yet perfect for any occasion.

Maybe this was exactly what I needed. I needed a night out with all my friends. I needed a good night with Harry.

After the big fight we had last week, we hadn't really had a fight anymore. But the truth was, we were walking on egg shells around each other. We were only talking about safe topics, which excluded just about everything.

As I finished taking the rollers out of my hair, a knock came from the door.

" come in!" Jess shouted.

I expected it to be Harry but I was wrong. Instead it was Louis. He came in dressed up in a pair of dark jeans and a white button up shirt. I wished it gave me a clue to where we were heading but it didn't.

Instead of saying something to him, I turned back to the mirror and pretended to fix my make-up. 

" can I talk to her for a bit?" Louis asked Jess.

I could see through the mirror Jess nod her head and leave the hotel room with her clutch. Louis watched Jess leave and only when she closed the door behind her he turned to look at me through the mirror.

" happy birthday" he started.

" thanks" I whispered.

Louis paced around the room like he wanted to say something but something was stopping him. I just wish he would spit it out. It seemed like everyone was biting their tongue lately. But I knew why. They all hated my relationship.

" I'm sorry" he finally said.

This time I fully turned around my body taking a good look at him. Louis by now had taken a seat across the room on the chair. To me, he looked sincere. He was looking me in the eye, something he hadn't done in so long.

" I'm sorry for the way I reacted towards just about everything. I'm sorry for your father, you didn't deserve that" he nodded

" then why did you react that way?" I asked.

" I guess I was being protective of our band...? I'm still not sure. I just don't want either of you to get hurt in the end" Louis confessed.

Why did he assume there would be an end? Was it obvious that our relationship was only going down hill? It only made my stomach turn.

" Zayn said our relationship is toxic" I said.

Louis didn't respond, but I knew he agreed. He just didn't want to admit it.

" how about we just go to your surprise, and have fun?" Louis proposed with a smile.

As much as I just wanted to crawl into bed after this conversation, I knew I had to go. I had to put this conversation behind me and at least try to enjoy the night.

Louis took my hand and lead me outside the hotel room door. Out in the hallway, stood Harry leaning against the hallway wall. He was wearing all black. His button up shirt was unbuttoned at the top, just the way that I liked it. As soon as I stepped out of the room, Harry took a look at me that made me melt inside. His eyes traveled down my body and up again until he stopped at my eyes.