Chapter 46 - " he's been good to me"

The drive seemed to go a lot faster than I had planned. I thought that I would have time to think while on the hour drive to my mother's new home, but I didn't. I was nervous to see my mother again. After all I hadn't seen her since her wedding.

But after seeing my father pass away in front of me, I knew I needed all the family I could hold on to. My relationship with her was fixable. It wasn't entirely destroyed yet.

As I drove up her new driveway, butterflies filled my stomach. She had moved in here right after the wedding, she said. She had also warned me that the man she married had two younger daughters. I wondered how my mother felt about that. I don't think she ever viewed herself as someone's stepmother, let alone of two little girls.

Bringing Toby with me was a way for him to calm my nerves. Toby and I were very synced in a way. He somehow knew when I was feeling nervous or sad. He would help me feel better in a way I couldn't explain.

I got out of Harry's car with Toby following right behind me. Before I could even knock on the door, my mother opened it attacking me with a tight hug. After a couple seconds of shock, I hugged her back. I missed her. I truly missed more than I had even noticed before. It's funny how now being in her arms, I noticed a distinct scent. My mother's scent. It was a mix of lavender and different types of oils. It was the same scent that she had years ago. It was a comforting scent.

Soon enough, she let go of me dragging me inside her beautiful new home. She led me into her living room sitting me down on the couch.

" how have you been doing?" she asked.

" a lot better than I expected" I nodded.

My mother gently caressed my cheek with her hand, something she used to do a lot when I was little.

" I expected Harry to come along with you" she confessed.

" I thought it'd be better for me to come alone, with Toby actually" I smiled looking down at my perfect little puppy.

Unexpectedly two little girls ran into the run. They were the exact same girls that had been dancing with my mother at the wedding. They looked like the exact opposite of me when I was their age. As a six year old, I was very much of a tomboy, after all I wanted to be just life my dad. As for these little girls, they were the girliest they could have been. Their blond hair flowing down on the pink dresses. They went straight to Toby.

Surprisingly Toby licked them with kisses instead of being scared by them.

" girls, this Cailin my daughter" my mother smiled.

" I'm Jackie"

" I'm Julia"

Both of them said at the same time, making an involuntary giggled escape my lips.

" nice to meet you girls" I responded as they went back to playing with Toby on the floor.

I looked up at my mother again and saw her smiling down at the girls. I had never seen herself gaze at children like this before. She truly did care for them.

" their mother passed away around three years" she said to me in a hushed tone not wanting the girls to hear, I assumed.

" so you starting over?" I jokingly questioned.

" I guess I am, but this time I wanted to do it better" she nodded her head.

I knew what she meant. Our relationship had gone south after my father's coma. I blamed her for everything, even when she supported me with my modeling career. I somehow hated her for everything, simply because I was mad at the world.

" I think we both acted wrong during that situation. Instead of joining together, we went into completely different directions" I responded.

" it looks like you're doing a lot better than a couple of months ago" she put her hand over mine.

I knew to what she was referencing. Harry. Before the world knew what was going on, my mother supported my relationship with Carter even though he beat me. I guess in her mine it was just a few slaps around, but it was so much worse. Harry was someone who she expected me to stay anyway from. She, just like everyone else saw that we didn't get along.

" he's been good to me" I blushed.

" I'm happy for you" my mother smiled.

For the first time in a long time, I felt like our relationship had been restored.

~

I walked through the apartment door, letting Toby run in ahead of me. No lights were on in the living room nor in the kitchen. It was late, but usually there was at least one person awake at this time. I guess for tonight it was me.

As I watched Toby go straight for his water bowl, I took a bowl from the cabnet and cereal from the pantry. After I got the milk from the fridge, I took a seat on the kitchen stool. Cereal at this time of night was comfort food for me, especially after a day like this.

I was in a way happy. Everything in my life seemed to go in a way that I could have never expected. It was going better than it had ever gone before. 

My relationship with my mother wasn't completely fixed by it was well on it's way. I knew that one day it would be stronger than ever.

My relationship with Harry was at it's best. He treated me like I had always hoped he would.

My career was at it's top and I felt like no one could tear me down.

I was happy.

" how long have you been here?" a groggy voice torn me away from my thoughts.

I looked up to see a sleepy Harry walking into the kitchen. He was shirtless and his hair was a mess yet as sexy as ever.

" I just got back from my mom's" I responded as Harry gave me a kiss on the forehead.

" how was it?" he asked leaning up on a stool next to me.

" it was good" I smiled

" that's good" he smiled back.

I wrapped my arms around Harry's torso holding him tight. He hugged me back keeping his face in my hair. I smiled at the small gesture, feeling like I never wanted to lose this.

" I'm scared" I whispered without even realizing I had said it out loud.

" why?" he asked not moving an inch away from me.

" I'm afraid that this could be over at any moment" I said against his chest.

For a couple seconds he said nothing. The only thing I could hear was his breathing and his heartbeat. But then he said something that my worry grow even more.

" me too" he whispered barely audible. 

~

slow chapter but dont worry the good stuff is coming my loves. You guys have been so supportive and I love you all for that! You guys mean the world to me, truly!

so I've been moving so much I literally feel like a gypsy. No joke, half of the stuff I own is in my car and the other half I have lugging around through friend's houses and rented rooms. Insane but it all get settled soon I hope lol

how has these last couple of weeks been for you guys? anything you want to share?

spread the love <3

ps. Happy Late Birthday Briana! aka fyeahharlena love you so much <3 thanks for all the support my love!