Chapter Twenty Two - Not Human

Caleb had come right home, seeing Greg’s rusty red pick up truck parked in the driveway. The sight of the vehicle was annoying to Caleb, yet he prepared himself when he entered through the door.

Caleb walked in blind, closing his eyes. “Am I walking in on anything?” He spoke, remembering the last occurrence when Greg had been visiting.

“No, unless you don’t like cuddles and reruns of Cheers.” Elsie’s voice was heard. He opened his eyes, seeing the couple cuddle on the couch. Caleb sighed, tossing his backpack to the bottom of the staircase.

“Hey, Caleb. How’s it goin’?” Greg greeted.

“Great.” Caleb mumbled as he opened the refrigerator, pulling a left over chicken wing from a plastic container.

Elsie emerged from the couch, clicking off the television. She wore a deep purple sweater paired with her typical black jeans. Her curly doll-like hair was left wild.

“Greg has something to show you.” She spoke excitedly.

Caleb hadn’t wanted any part of this.

“Can I eat first?” Caleb spoke as he chewed the skin of the chicken.

“Come on, Caleb.” Elsie took his wrist, making him drop the chicken to the counter top and dragged him to the backdoor of the Tucker home.

“Close your eyes.” Elsie demanded. He did as told, wanting this to be over with.

He heard the storm door creak open, as well as feeling the autumn air hitting his face. She guided him to the backyard a few steps outward, letting Greg take over.

“All right, son. I hope you like it.” Greg said.

Caleb opened his eyes, revealing the gift Greg had gotten for him. It was a slightly used pick up truck, a deep gray shade. It was an old model, about twenty years old. Elsie warped her arms around Greg’s watching as her brother observe his new truck.

“Do you like it?” Elsie squeaked. Caleb opened the driver door, seeing it had been completely emptied of any dirt or scratches that could have been made by a previous owner.

“Its nice.” Caleb spoke short, slamming the door.

“It was the least I could do.”

“For what?”
“Letting me date your sister.” He spoke looking down at the girl on his arm, making Elsie giggle.

Caleb sighed, rolling his eyes at the love scene that made him so sardonic.

“Thanks.” Caleb spoke.

“No problem, bud.” Greg laid a single pat to Caleb’s shoulder, which made him ever so irritated.

“Lets go finish that episode then go to the coffee house!” Elsie suggested, gripping his wrist to reenter the home. Caleb stared, perplexed that his sister would be with such a loser.

***************************************************************************************

        Max was quick home, feeling relieved that Amelia had been sustained and getting treatment even though she had been living in her own reality perceiving that she had actually had a chance with him.

He stepped threw the front entry, seeing that there had been a presence waiting on his arrival.

“Where have you been?” Corrine questioned with folded arms, looking less than pleased at the bottom stair step.