Chapter Nine. - One More Than The Other

Caleb threw his backpack over his shoulder as he readied himself to exit school that day. The hallway was jammed as usual with students fleeing school grounds. Cheerleaders and jocks filled the hallwayHe could see groups of young freshman girls whispering and gossiping, staring back at Caleb with batting lashes. He was less that flattered at the young girl’s stares.

As Caleb reached the front of the school, he could see a lonely yet anxious faced Nora sitting along a concrete bench. She watched as he exited the school, reaching his side as he approached her.

“Can I ask you a question?” She spoke as Caleb kept his pace.

“No, I don’t think freshman are cute.” Caleb chuckled to himself.

Nora scrunched her nose. “That wasn’t what I… never mind. Are you going to the homecoming game tomorrow night?”

Caleb rolled his eyes at yet another oh so structured part of high school. “Hell no.”

“Good.” Nora laughed awkwardly to herself, someone relieved.

“Why are you asking?” He said as he reached the parking lot of the school, waiting for the horrible drivers to make way for the pedestrians.

“Just wondering. I was going to warn you about some stupid tradition Avelak High does to new students.” She shrugged.

Tradition?” Caleb was slightly interested.

“Yeah. Whenever we get a new kid, which is rarely ever, the football team pulls a prank on them if they come to the game. One time they humiliated a kid so bad he switched schools.” Nora informed.

Caleb shook his head. “I wasn’t planning on going and now I really don’t plan on going.”

“Hey.” She trotted in front of him, making him stop in his way.

Caleb narrowed his eyes to her.

“I’m serious. Don’t go to the game.”

Caleb raised a brow, confused at her demands but nodded his head.

She sighed lightly, giving a grin. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Caleb watched as Nora left the scene towards a white Ford vehicle that pulled into the parking lot. Nora hopped into the passenger seat, where a middle-aged woman with brunette hair wrapped into a bun sat in the drivers seat. As she drove away, Caleb was met by another vehicle, this one, a bright red Corvette that looked to be brand new entering the presence where Caleb had been standing. He squinted his eyes to the driver window, recognizing the driver.

“Need a ride?” Max rolled his window down, a cigarette in between his fingers. Caleb stood for a moment, not entirely needing a ride.

“Come on, man.” Max gestured towards the passenger side.

Caleb stepped to the opposite side of the doors, entering into the Corvette.

Inside, the black, pristine leather interior reeked of cigarettes and cologne. There wasn’t a speck of dust or dirt to be found, which Caleb found quite odd.

Max revved the engine, catching the attention of a few students passing the parking lot. He laughed, sharply turning into the street.

“New car?” Caleb questioned, watching his enjoyment of almost killing the both of them.

“No, I’ve had this car for years. Her name’s Betty.” He joked, puffing a stick.

Before Caleb could comment, Max drove directly through a red light, making drivers brake and honk their horns at the driver who had also been driving above speed limit.