Chapter Fifteen - Emily Marshal

The next day had been completely hectic. Homecoming was canceled that night, and the game was canceled as well as police arrived to investigate the body of the young girl who identified as Emily Marshal, a fourteen year old freshman from Chesterwood. Police were on the scene in an instant, forcing the homecoming game to come to an end and cheering students exit school grounds. Sheriff Prescott was called to the murder scene, seeing a lifeless girl his own daughter’s age.

Avelak High students were distraught. They had to forfeit a game for the first time since the school had been built and the homecoming dance was canceled. Teenage girls sobbed, wishing they could have worn their expensive, sparkling dresses their parents bought for them for that special night.

Caleb woke that morning feeling quite refreshed, not yet hearing anything about the so called ‘body’ Max claimed he had seen. He didn’t believe Max for two reasons; there was no possible way a girl could have died that way, especially in such a small town like Avelak. It was strange, and very unlikely. The other reason was that Caleb figured Max made some extravagant story to pay him a visit since Caleb was his only friend. Caleb was not blind to the attachment Max had been growing onto him.

Corrine had drugged Lydia to sleep after a few rounds of feeding. Corrine had forgotten how 

palatable human blood could truly be, and it was quite difficult for her to put her binge feeding to an end that night. Lydia began to pass out due to blood loss, and that was Corrine’s only sign of needing to wait until tomorrow to begin the feeding again. 

Caleb stepped down the staircase that Saturday morning, watching as Elsie watched the local news station with her eyes tightly observing the screen. Caleb rubbed his eyes, still yawning and tiresome from the long night he had prior.

“Caleb, come here. Look.” Elsie gestured him to sit on the couch, which looked to have been scrubbed clean of the blood it was stained of last night.

Caleb plopped onto the couch, watching the screen she had invited him to.

        Chesterwood teen found dead last night at an Avelak High school Homecoming game. The girl, identified as Emily Marshal, was found unconscious by her cheer team mate in the woods next to the football field. Investigators say it was a concussion accident that caused her immediate death. Our prayers and thoughts go out to her family. Back to you, Bill. 

“Holy shit.” Caleb breathed.

“He wasn’t exactly lying. Just his story was twisted.” Elsie spoke.

“I told him, heat of the moment.” He said as he entered the kitchen for breakfast.

“You should probably talk to him today.” Elsie suggested. 

“What for?” Caleb said as he poured a large bowl of Cheerios.

“Well, he did watch you phase last night.”

***************************************************************************************

Max hadn’t slept very well that night. The images of the girl haunted him, and his urges crept over his mind throughout the night. He entered the kitchen, droopy eyed and brunette curls poking out of his head. Albert was in the kitchen, prepping breakfast for the Finch’s. Albert knew of Max’s lack of appetite for human food, yet went along to make a breakfast that he secretly would indulge for himself.