Comfort Food

Most people didn't notice me. Guys especially. They didn't see me. I don't mean they didn't look at me exactly, but when they did it was like they were looking through me. There might as well had been a prettier girl standing behind me that they were really looking at, and I suppose at times that may have been the case.

"Five eighty," the tired woman at the register said with a sigh. I handed her a five and a one before waiting for the clinking sound of two dimes that dropped from the side of the register into a little metal dish.

I gripped my tray with both hands and made my way to the farthest end of the cafeteria, choosing the booth next to the window where someone hadn't already taken it upon themselves to open the blinds. I hated sitting in streaming, hot sunshine while I ate my food.

I'd just taken a bite of the macaroni and cheese - the main reason why I frequented this cafeteria - when I heard someone speak.

"Hey, I know you."

I jumped as I looked up at the boy who stood near the restrooms, thinking surely there was someone behind me he was greeting instead. His name was Harry. I had a class with him, I knew that much, but there was no way he even knew I existed. He was tall with a curly mop of hair on his head and big green eyes that if I wasn't careful, I could get lost in. I quickly blinked and looked back down at my lunch.

"I have a class with you, right?" he continued, stepping closer to my table. Okay so obviously he was talking to me after all.

I shrugged. "I guess."

"Yeah. What is it, Psych?"

"Bio," I muttered.

"What was that?" It was then that he took it upon himself to slide into the booth across from me.

"Biology," I answered, glaring at him.

"Oh, right! Biology. Professor Graham."

I nodded, sucking in my lips.

"You sit in front of me, end of the row. What's your name again?"

"Jessica."

"Jessica," he repeated with a lopsided grin. "That's right."

Harry rested his elbow on the table, his chin in his hand as he stared at me. He seemed to be studying me for a while, though I wasn't sure if he was really looking at my face or thinking of something else. Either way, he was silent for so long, even as I tried to ignore him and eat my mac and cheese, I began to get nervous. Finally he spoke again.

"Is that good?" he inquired.

"What?"

"That," he pointed. "What you're eating."

I nodded emphatically. "Mhm. You wouldn't think so, coming from a cafeteria, but it's really good actually. It's just like-"

"Hey, Harry!"

I turned my head to see a table full of people, one of the guys waving Harry over. I recognized him from class too. He sat next to Harry. I narrowed my eyes.

"You have your friends get your food for you?"

He made a face as he leaned forward to whisper, "Only cause I had to wee really bad."

A giggle slipped from my throat before I could stop it. I quickly covered my mouth in embarrassment, but Harry only gave me another lopsided grin.

"I guess I should go," he finally gestured toward the other table.

I nodded.

"Maybe they got me some of that," he pointed at my mac and cheese as he rose from the booth. "Good to see you, Jessica. Have a nice lunch."