42 Hours || Part Two

It's almost instantaneous, Y/N notices, how quickly and easily she and Harry fall into a rhythm of friendship. From the moment she wakes up the next morning to a blue sky, the storm long passed, and Harry holding out a cup of black coffee for her, the stress and anxiety of the previous day is gone. There's no watching herself around Harry, biting her tongue to stop herself from snapping over every small motion he makes as he fidgets in the driver's seat. There's no irritation caused by the way he taps his fingers on the steering wheel, or how he asks any question that crosses his mind, speaking out his random chain of thoughts just as often.

The thing that Y/N's come to realize is that Harry is so much more interesting than she'd ever thought. He's certainly more interesting than the endless fields of corn that whip by her window as he drives down the interstate. His jokes are dumb, but he says them with such a big grin on his face that she can't help but laugh. His comments are strange, but Y/N finds herself enjoying the weird words that slip from his mouth without being caught by a filter.

"If we were in a Children of The Corn situation," Harry begins, raising his voice to be heard over the sounds of Simon and Garfunkel. "Do you think you'd be able to outsmart the cult? Or would you get sacrificed to He Who Walks Behind the Rows?"

Y/N half chokes on the bottle of water she'd just raised to her lips, and coughs the liquid from her lungs as she turns to give Harry an incredulous look. "Excuse me?"

"We're in Nebraska. That's where it takes place, right?" Harry asks, glancing at Y/N from behind his sunglasses. "There's, like, a weird child cult, and they kill all the adults in town for the corn harvest, or something, and then this couple on a road trip discovers them, and tries to stop them. Do you think you'd be able to?"

"Do I think I'd be able to stop a child cult? Or would I get sacrificed to their weird corn god? That's what you're asking me?" Although she can't help but snort at the ridiculousness of the question, her mind is already appraising the situation Harry's proposed. "I think I'd be able to stop them. They're just kids, right? You just can't be afraid to—you know—" Y/N drags her thumb across her throat, and Harry quirks up an eyebrow at her casual response.

"You'd kill a bunch of kids?"

"If the kids were evil and wanted to kill me? Absolutely." Y/N leans her head back on the head rest, still keeping her eyes locked on Harry. "Wouldn't you?"

Harry lifts one shoulder in response. "I don't know. I'd try to reason with them, I think."

Y/N extends a finger gun at him, clicking her tongue in sync with the motion. "And that's why they'd sacrifice you and not me."

Harry laughs, shaking his head slowly as he turns his attention back to the road. "Lovely. Wouldn't you try to save me?"

Y/N hums, pretending to think the question over. "That depends on how annoying you've been that day."

"You're such a sweetheart, Y/N, you really are." Harry laughs more, but stops abruptly as he spots a sign to the right of the road. "Oh! There's a souvenir shop at the next exit!"

A groan falls from Y/N's mouth as her head flops back, already sensing defeat. "No, Harry, you don't need another keychain—"

"You don't know that! Maybe I could get a corn stalk keychain!"

...

"You know, I could drive for a bit. If you'd like."

Harry looks up at Y/N with an apprehensive gaze, his nimble fingers halfway through attaching a new silver key chain in the shape of Nebraska to his key ring. "What?"

"You've been driving for three days straight." Y/N leans over the passenger side of the car, resting her arms on the sun-warmed roof. "I could drive. I know how to; I just don't do it in L.A. because the traffic is annoying. But the interstate is practically empty, so..."