46 | court is now in session

2ND last chapter... 

❀❀❀

46

Last night I could not sleep a bit. Too many thoughts running through my head.
 As I applied concealer under my charcoal-colored under eyes, trying to get my hands to stop shaking, I couldn't help but wander into a dark place in my mind.

Today was August 26. 

Today I had to face the man in my nightmares. 

"Breathe," Zayn whispered as he took the tube of concealer out of my hands and took my hands into his own, gripping them tightly, allowing me to calm down. I took deep breaths in and out, trying to remove the image of his face from his mind. I needed closure, and today I will get it.

That's if I don't run out of the court room the second I see him. 

My mind was fuzzy. Everything went by a blur, and the next thing I know, I'm in the courthouse. I was standing with Zayn, Bhai, and Baba, listening to what my Lawyer had to say. But I paid no attention, of course, with thoughts running through my head, whatever my Lawyer was saying went through one ear and out the other. I fiddled with the hem of my blazer, observing my surroundings. Being in court was nothing new; after all, I am a lawyer, but this was still unfamiliar. The buzzing of the people discussing the logistics - how it would be very unlikely for me to win. The familiar smell of the bleach as the custodian walked by a sympathetic look on his face, as his eyes caught my stare. Nothing was new but everything was.

Well, now I at least know how my clients feel.

I didn't realize we were going inside until I felt Zayn's grip on my hand tighten. The room was filled with people, reporters trying to get in. After all, this was a high profile case; I covered my face with my scarf, ignoring all the questions getting thrown at me. Once we were safely inside, we sat at the back, the four of us. I was trembling and I could not stop. My vision was glassy as I tried to keep calm, if it weren't for Zayn's arms tightly holding me in place, I'm sure I would've ran out by now.

 It wasn't until a couple of minutes later that he was brought in. I only knew he was coming in by the slam of the doors and the silence which enveloped the room. The clicking of the cameras intensified. I didn't look at him; I couldn't. I was completely frozen. I could feel Zayn's eyes bore into me, I could see Bhai's hands formed into fists, and Baba's curses could be heard from a mile away. I kept my head down, staring deep into the glassy floor. Slowly counting each tile as everyone got situated. 

"All Rise. The court is now in session." A deep voice announced,

We all stood up. My head was still facing down; he was in the same room as me. The huge courtroom suddenly felt so tiny, it felt as if the walls were closing in on me. I felt sick, my stomach was twisting and turning. 

We were told to take a seat and the judge began,

"Ladies and Gentleman of the Jury, this is the criminal case of Alfred Robinson..." He went on, the Lawyers began talking and presenting evidence and such. I, of course, was not paying attention until it was my time to testify.

"Are there any witnesses?" The judge asked; my Lawyer then looked towards me. I froze. I could not do this; I looked to Zayn for help; he gave me a sympathetic look and helped me up,

"Allah's on your side, you can do this" He whispered. Bhai and Baba nodded towards me giving me a small smile. My legs were wobbly as I headed to the clerk to swear an oath. I still didn't look at him but I knew he was there, way too close for my liking.