"And I Nearly Died"

Start from the beginning

-

We looked up to the building 

A 15-story apartment complex was burning. 

Chief "51, get me a water supply from the standpipe. Truck 81, Squad 3, I need search teams. Engine 37, get the hoses into the north stairwell. Ambulance 61, set up triage. Get ready, people. We're going to war."

We walked in. 

Casey "Mouch, you're on lobby control. Get the elevators down here."

Mouch nodded "You got it, Captain."

Chief "Okay, fire is confined to 20 for now. We need to investigate the fire floor. Get to everybody trapped above it. I made at least four people signaling from their windows."

Kelly "We riding or walking?"

Chief "Casey."

Casey "Mouch, what's happening?"

Mouch "I have control of one, two, and four, but the number three car is stopped on the 18th floor, can't get it moving. "

Chief "Can we get a look inside of that elevator?"

The guy "Number three?"

We walked over to the security camera monitors. 

Kelly "The car is empty, Mouch, but keep trying."

Mouch "Copy."

Chief "Okay, heat is interfering with the electronics. That settles it. You're climbing. To all companies we can't trust the elevators. Use the stairs only. Stage on 19. Truck 81, give me a primary search on 20. Squad 3, take 21. Engine 37 will attack the fire. Okay, let's go, let's go, let's go!"

--

Chief "Florence, what's it looking like up there?"

Me "Hang on, Chief, we're almost in."

Suddenly the door busted open with fire  and Casey and i got thrown back. 

I groaned out "Fire's too advanced at 20, Chief. We can't get a foothold."

Casey tried closing the door again. 

Chief "Okay, new plan. Squad searches 21. Truck continues up to 22. Engine 37, get a hold of that fire floor."

Kelly "Copy that, Chief."

--

Hermann "Chief, we cleared 22. Flo and I are headed to 23."

Chief "Flo, I got Jay Halstead here. His father lives at 23C. He's not answering his phone. Take a look."

I nodded "On our way. "

-

Me "Chief, we're inside 23C right now"

Chief "Go ahead, Flo. What'd you find?"

Me "Nothing. The apartment's empty. No sign of Mr. Halstead."

Chief "Carry on, Flo."

Hermann and i walked to the staircase.

Me "Herrmann. You're looking a little peaked. I mean, you sure you don't want to stop, take a breather?"

Hermann "Like hell. I could do 20 more flights... And still run circles around you."

I scoffed "no doubt, old man"

-

Hermann's tank alarm was going on. 

Me "Hey, how's your air?"

Hermann "I'm good. I got a new tank downstairs. Why, are you low?"

I looked at my clock and lied " I, uh... I got a few minutes left."