Rest In Peace, Benny

Next day. morning. Night. At Kelly's. 

I walked into his loft and saw Jennifer sitting on the couch "hey"

She smiled and walked over to me "hey, Florence"

Me "i am so sorry, Jen"

She nodded "i know, thank you, sweetheart"

Me "Is Kelly here?"

We saw down on the couch. 

Jen" He's a bit wrecked, went to bed."

I nodded "I should probably do the same, then. How'd today go?"

Jen "Uh, surreal. It's funny. Benny spent all his life improvising from one day to the next, but when it came to his death, he had it all planned out. Kelly's running himself ragged, trying to do everything exactly how Benny wanted. I don't know if it's about contrition or closure or what. I'm glad he has you to rely on."

I shook my head " I'm... I'm barely doing anything."

Jen "Oh, you're doing enough. I'm sure Kelly would tell you himself, but he's lousy expressing things like that. You're good for him, Flo. you've always been good for him "

I nodded. 

Kelly's bedroom. 

I knocked on the door and walked in. 

Kelly was lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling. 

Me "Kels?"

He didn't move. 

I turned around to leave. 

Kelly "Stay, please"

I turned to him surprised before i walked over to the bed and took my shoes off.

Then i climbed on he bed and leaned against the headboard. 

Kelly put his head on my lap and hugged my legs. 

I froze but then i drove my hand through his hair.

Kelly whispered "if i fall asleep...."

i nodded "i'll be here when you wake up, i promise"

He closed his eyes and squeezed my legs. 

A few days later. at Kelly's. 

I walked over to him and saw him throwing his phone at the couch, angrily. 

Me "you okay?"

Kelly looked at me. He  was broken. 

He sat down on the couch "what are you doing here?"

I waked over to him and sat down next to him "helping someone who's going through the same pain i went through"

He looked at  me. 

Me "Kelly, do you really think i would not be here for you?"

Kelly "i thought that after everything i did to you-"

Me "Kelly, you lost your dad. I know what you are going through right now. i think we can put this mess between us aside for a few days and focus on your loss, okay?"

He nodded. 

Me "you were there for me when i lost my dad, of course i am here for you, Kelly"

He looked at the table. 

Me "you're angry"

Kelly shook his head "I'm not angry. I'm just busy."

I sighed "Kelly. He's not here anymore. Whatever he said to get under your skin at the end, it's done. It's over."

Kelly " The way we left things the last time we talked, I took a jab at him, and he ended up coming through anyway."

Me "There's nothing you could have said that would have made this any easier. Nothing that would have brought you the kind of peace you're looking for. Right now, today, this is the start of your life without your dad. How you live it, that's what will define you."

He looked at the table. 

I hugged him. 

At the church. 

Chaplain " "Come to me, all who labor, "and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. "Take my yolk upon you, and learn from me, "for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." This is the word of the Lord. Amen."

We all said Amen. 

Kelly walked to the front and took a deep breath "My father was a legendary firefighter. I know this because he told me all the time. But he wasn't wrong. On March 16, 1993, he pulled seven people out of the Paxton Hotel Fire. They were trapped, and nobody could figure out how to get to them, but Benny wouldn't give up, even when the building was coming down on top of him. That was Benny Severide. He always had to do things his own way. He was stubborn, and man, he was tough. Sometimes too tough. He'd battle the people he loved as hard as he'd battle any fire. But every now and then, when you needed him the most, he'd have your back whether you knew it or not. No matter what the cost.It took me... It took me too long to figure that out. But I'll never forget it. Sleep tight, Dad. You earned it."

Outside

The guys were carrying the casket out of the church. 

Suddenly Firetrucks showed up to honor Benny. 

Everyone got out of the trucks and lined up in front of us. 

Chief Himes " Detail, attention! Present arms! Battalion Chief Benjamin Severide has returned to quarters."

They rang the bell. 

A tear rolled down my cheek. 

Chief Himes " He's cleared from all his duties. He is gone but never forgotten. May he rest in peace, with his brothers and sisters. Above."