Chapter 3~I'm Not Ready~

Y/N's POV
      I sit on the vanity chair, starring at my reflection. My facial features. My deep e/c eyes. I slightly look up seeing Teresa's freckled face brushing my h/c hair. We're both young. She looks to be about 12 years old. I'm 10, and I guess Tony is 8. Speaking of Tony, the little monster comes running behind Teresa, knocking into her. Tony laughs playing with his toy airplane. I turn around in my seat watching Teresa playfully chase her younger brother around the bedroom. "Get back here." She says. They run around the room laughing when Teresa finally catches him, pulling him up into a big hug. Ava walks into the room smiling at her three children. Tony squirms to get away from Teresa's grasps. Then out of no where, we hear a door downstairs open. "Is this our home?" I think to myself. Ava's eyes widen. She puts her fingers over her lips. "Y/N, Tony, get to your rooms. You know the drill." Ava whispers leading Tony to his bedroom. "So this was Teresa's room?" I wonder inside my head. Before I had time to take in any details of the room, I instinctively go to my own room. Grey walls, small pink bed, doll house in the corner. "We were a real family." I think. The door to my room opens aggressively. I turn around seeing none other than Janson starring at me. "What are you doing?" He questions walking into the room. (A/N: sensitive topic ahead. sorry if this upsets anyone) He stares down at me with disbelief in his eyes. His hand comes up as he slaps me across the face. I feel sudden anger building up. But not from little me, from my current self. "Clean this god damn room and go to bed." He orders frustrated as he slams the door.
       I fly upwards heavily breathing, rubbing my cheek. It all felt to real. Like it just happened. I stare at the flapping tent for a second as my brain wakes itself up. I turn my head to the usual sleeping people, but I rub my eyes when I notice they're all gone. Already up out of bed. Did I sleep in? I stand up fast before feeling lightheaded. I know better than to stand up that fast. Once the tunnel vision eases, I make my way to the opening of the tent. There they are, everyone working. I look up at the sun as it shines straight above. I must have slept for ages. I pay attention to the air, slight breeze, dark clouds in the distance. "Good morning sunshine." Thomas laughs walking up towards me. I meet him halfway squinting my eyes at the bright sunlight. "What time is it?" I question the boy with dark brown hair. He laughs again bringing his head down. "About 1:30." He replies starring at me with a grin. "Why didn't you wake me up!?" I question with a kind of angry tone. "Hey hey. Calm down. You needed your rest. I know you've been getting up really early every morning since we got here. You were exhausted." He calmly puts his hand on my shoulder. I take a big deep breath, relaxing and calming myself. He's right. I shouldn't push myself that much. "I'm going for a run." I answer turning back to the tent to get my running shoes and some different clothes. I hear Thomas' footsteps as he follows me. "Well hey don't go to far, alright? Vince thinks were going to get some rain later. Look at the clouds." Thomas informs pointing at the dark clouds I saw a few minutes before. I smile at him, "A little rain never stopped me before."
       As I run down the dirt trail, my mind races through so many thoughts. Maybe it's time I lighten up. Maybe this place can be a home. I breathe heavily noticing how out of shape I am. This place is a blessing, I should be thankful that I'm here. I feel sprinkles start to drop on my face. Before I notice, I stop in my tracks starring up at the gloomy sky above. Maybe it's time I let him go. "Hey!" A stern voice grabs my attention from my thoughts. I turn towards the tall, buff man. An angry expression stuck to his ugly face. His buzzed hair showing his scalp, almost as if he's bald. His eyes as dark as chocolate. But who is he? I don't believe I've ever seen him before. "Hi! What's your name?" I start off with a kind tone of voice. "Does that even matter?!" He shouts as I watch his fist curl up in a ball. My body starts to shiver, but not from the cold sprinkles drenching my back. "Woah, are you okay? Maybe I can help." I offer. His expression, his tone... it all reminds me of a glader who has been stung. A person from the Maze who lost their mind because of a Wailer. "Help me? Help me?!" His breathing increases, "Help me by leaving the island!" The scary man shouts, making me flinch. "I'm sorry I don't understand..." I apologize as he starts to laugh. His actions just like a glader stung by a Wailer. "Whatever! You know exactly what I'm talking about Y/N!" He insists getting closer to me. No words escape my mouth. Everything is suffocated in from fear. "I know your little secret." He continues to walk forward as I back away. "And soon, the entire island will know what you've done." The man threatens with continued anger and frustration in his tone. "What are you talking about? I didn't do anything!" I shout back, convincing not only him, but myself that everything isn't my fault. "Oh yea? Y/N Paige? The girl who contains the antibodies to cure the Flare." He says as my heart drops. How does he know that? Vince made everything clear. No one who knew about me was allowed to tell anyone on the island that I'm the cure. To prevent exactly this that's happening. "What are you talking about?" I question trying to convince him he's got the wrong girl. "Don't play stupid! You're guilty! You're hiding on this island! You're not even doing anything about the people who are still suffering from the Flare!" I step to run but before I get the chance, he grasps my arm. "Let go!" I scream, tears built up in my eyes. "You will pay for what you are! My family is dead because of you! All of this is your fault! You don't deserve to be here!" The man accuses as he pulls out a knife from his belt. "I have to avenge my family..." His crazy eyes fall to the weapon, then back on me.  My eyes widen as I kick him in the stomach, forcing him to release me. I begin to sprint towards the camp, shouting for someone to help me. "GET AWAY FROM ME!" I cry as I hear loud shuffles of him chasing behind me. The rain continues to fall heavier now, making the dirt underneath me into mud. My foot slips making me slide down, but immediately get my balance back. "SOMEONE HELP ME!" I shout as I notice we're closer to camp. "GET AWAY" I yell when I break through the trees to the camp. The man grabs my ankle, making me fall to the ground. He gets on top of me, holding the knife up ready to pierce me in the chest. "I'm gunna kill you!" He threatens. I squeeze my eyes shut, bracing for impact. All the sudden, I hear a gun shot. The man drops the knife next to me, as blood from his hand drips onto my neck. Someone shot him in the hand. He screams in agonizing pain as I kick him off of me, squirming to the first person I see. Brenda's arms wrap around me as I hug her in fear. Bunches of gasps, and fear in the air begins to increase. My chest pounding, my breathing so heavy. I turn around as Vince puts his gun back into his belt. 4 men get on top of the attacker, holding him against the ground. "No! Let me go! You've got the wrong person! She's the real enemy. You're all fools-!" Before he could testify anymore, Vince casually walks up to the man, stomps on his face, knocking him out.
"What was that?! What the hell was that?!" Vince shouts to all of the people in the room. His anger makes everyone jump. Everyone gathered here are people who know about me. Who know I'm the cure. When we first got here, Vince made everything clear that no one else was to know about me. It was to protect me... to keep me safe from people like that man. Vince takes a deep breath, "Y/N... tell us everything that happened." I look around the room to the people I know. Thomas standing next to me along with Brenda. Minho on the other side of the room, leaned against the wooden support beam. Gally, Fry, Jorge, Aris, Harriet, and Sonya scattered around the room. Delilah standing close to Vince. "I woke up late and decided to go on a run." I start off when Vince begins his interruptions, "Why would you go alone?" I stare straight into his eyes. "I've never had to go with anyone before? So why would I now?" I state with sass. Everyone stares at me to continue. "While on my run, that man walked up and started threatening me." I inform when Vince quickly replies, "What did he say? Give details." I pause, thinking back to just 30 minutes ago. "He said he knew my little secret. He knew everything Vince..." I continue, "He knew my name is Y/N Paige. He knew I am the cure. He told me that I don't deserve to be here and..." I stop thinking about the most hurtful but true statement he said. "And?" Thomas questions. I look up again at all the people. Everyone intrigued by what I have to say. "That everything is my fault." I answer. My body begins to ache with sadness and disappointment. Everything that man said was true... "Then he grabbed me, so I kicked him and ran back to camp. Well you saw everything after that." I finish as Vince rubs his beard in frustration. "So how the hell does he know about you?" Brenda asks. I shrug my shoulders unable to answer the question were all asking. How the actual hell did that man know I'm the cure? "Someone in this room must have told someone." Vince answers what everyone else was avoiding. "Right?" Vince adds, "All this time we've been here, nothing like this has happened, and now all the sudden he figured it out? That doesn't make sense." No one says a word. "So, who told?" Vince asks all the people in the room. "Vince, is it really that big a deal..." Aris spits out as the leader turns his head to stare at the slender boy. "What do you mean is it a big deal?!" Vince shouts walking over to Aris. "He was going to kill her!" Vince announces, "He was going to stab her in the chest with that knife." I watch as Aris gulps in fear. "So you tell me boy... did you tell someone that she's the cure? For what... betrayal, popularity, or just because you damn wanted to." Vince accuses aggressively pointing at Aris' chest. "Just stop it!" Minho shouts. "Stop throwing around all these accusations!" He adds sounding fed up with Vince's actions. Minho walks up close to Vince's face. "If you want to know so badly who told the man... then go ask the shank." Minho suggests, "He's got nothing else left. He locked up for crying out loud!" Everyone remains quiet, almost speechless at Vince's accusations. "Screaming at us for something we didn't do isn't going to get you anywhere!" Minho states walking out of the tent. "Hey Minho." Thomas says walking in his direction before I stop him. "Let me go after him." I suggest before chasing behind Minho's path.
       "Minho! Hey slow down." I state walking after the angry Asian. "Minho." I announce once more before he turns around looking at me. We're on the beach about half a mile from camp. "Hey, what was that all about?" I question, Minho just stares at me. The boy doesn't say anything as he quickly walks toward me. His hand swiftly cups my cheek as he connects out lips together. In confusion, I pull away with my eyebrows furrowed. "Minho? What are you doing?" I ask with shock in my tone. He stands there starring at me for a second, unable to process what just happened. "Seriously?" Minho spits out as disbelief wipes his previous expression. "Is this a joke?" Minho adds. Joke? You kissed ME. "Minho, what was that about?" I question, my mind still wrapping around the fact that Minho just kissed me. "What was that about?" He mimics me then stops, "Okay wow I feel like an idiot." My mouth doesn't allow words to pass through it. "Y/N I have feelings for you. I always have." The Asian answers as my heart drops in my chest. A feeling I can't describe comes over me. "Since we met you back at the sanctuary, I felt this way about you." He admits as I just stare into his dark brown eyes, my brain trying to comprehend what he's telling me. "But then I watched you fall for Newt." Minho confesses, "I was always there for you... through everything. I care about you Y/N." My mind can't believe what my ears are hearing. "Minho..." I mumble, not knowing what else to say. "And then Newt died." Minho adds as my sadness turns to fury. "Minho!" I shout. "And I was there!" He continues on yelling over me. "I was your shoulder to cry on! Me! I stayed with you every night before you went to sleep! Me! And you still don't feel the same way?!" Minho questions with great sadness in his tone. "Minho?" I ask quietly. "So why don't you feel the same way?" He questions with a sad expression. "After all this time, you never felt how I do?" He asks. What am I supposed to say to that? I don't speak for a second, letting reality sink in. "I'm just not ready." I blankly state. "What does that mean Y/N!? It's been a whole year since he died... Why can't you just move on?" Minho genuinely asks grabbing both of my hands. I quickly let go backing up. "Minho, you just don't understand." I answer without other explanation. "Then help me!" He mentions, "Help me understand." I feel my eyes start to water, as my body blows with emotions. "You want to know huh?! You want to know so badly why I can't get over him?!" I shout as he pays attention. "I killed him! Okay?! Is that what you want to hear?!" I yell as Minho's facial expression changes to concern. "Y/N...-" Minho tries when I stop him. "No Minho! You want to know so badly why I'm not ready to let go?! I killed Newt!" Tears start strolling down my cheeks. "You saw the knife!" I add, "He was swinging at me, and I turned it on him." I feel all the pain start to flood back. The mental pain I felt laying next to his dead body. "Y/N, you didn't-." He tries again. "I didn't what? Didn't mean to? It doesn't matter. Newt is dead and it's all my fault! Any chance Newt had from surviving the Flare was crushed all because of me." I blame. "Y/N, wait I'm sorry!" Minho tries once more before I start to back away. "No. You can't just do that Minho. You can't just pry me for my emotions, and feel sorry for me after knowing the truth...just leave me alone." I finish running into the trees behind us. I hear him start to follow me before his footsteps ease into silence.