Chapter 21~Come Back For Me~

Y/N's POV
I stand alone in my room packing my belongings. I don't have much. What I do have is mainly Amanda's extras. An extra hairbrush, toothbrush, soap for cleaning. Amanda suggested we pack a suit case even if we don't have enough belongings to fit inside it. She mentioned how strange it would be to start a 'new life' with just a small backpack, and she's right. It would seem suspicious. I mainly pack my suitcase with things we might need like flashlights and tools. As I'm rummaging through my room, packing my suitcase and my backpack I've had since we've escaped Janson's sanctuary, I come across my journal. Pages upon pages of feelings, stories... memories. Part of me believes I'd be lost without it. Every dream, every memory from my past scribbled down in black ink. Everything about Newt is in here. His letter to me, even. I would die if I lost that letter. As I'm starring at the blank leather journal, I start to feel that maybe it's just a waste of time. That it will just be consumed by the fire... like everything else in this world. Consumed by fire... maybe that's just it isn't it. If the Flare doesn't get us... the fire will. Out of nowhere, I hear a knock at my door. I shake my head throwing my journal inside my black backpack. "Come in." I announce facing the door, pushing my hair behind my right ear. The door opens revealing Minho. "Gettin packed?" He questions staying put beside the door. I nod slightly not saying anything. All I can think about is how angry he'd be if he knew the real reason I was recruited. He nods too. "Dinner is ready when you are." He states blankly, as if he is a stranger calling me to pick up my order at a fast food restaurant. "Thanks." I state with a small smile. He nods again beginning to close the door. "Oh and Y/N?" Minho adds as I glance back over to him. "I'm proud of you." He smiles as my heart feels warm and fuzzy. "Thank you." I state with a small grin. He nods once again before slowly closing the door. I look back at my backpack with confusion. Maybe... I should give him a chance.
I lay in my bed starring at the ceiling. It's long after dinner, and I'm expected to sleep since I have such a big day tomorrow. But no inch of me is tired. Not in the slightest bit. I thought maybe gazing at the bland ceiling would put my mind at ease, but I was wrong. Tomorrow is it. I'm inside the city, and I'll start looking for equipment to help us create a cure. One thing I do know... if Wicked found out who I am. If they knew I was in their city... they'd create the cure for themselves, just like Janson tried. They'd create their own humanity where they get to pick who lives and who rots. Where they decide who gets the cure and who doesn't. The last thing we need is Wicked knowing I'm back on the mainland. All the sudden, I hear my door squeak open. Man, can a girl get a little privacy? I turn my head seeing little Violet walk up to my bed. She sniffles. "Violet?" I question pressing the button to the lamp. Light engulfs the room as I see her face filled with tears. "Are you ok!?" I question worry overtaking me. Looking around the room, everything is normal. Nothing has changed. She's just crying. "I had a nightmare." She sniffles standing at the side of my bed. "Can I sleep with you tonight?" Violet questions, her little voice so precious. "Sure." I scoot over opening my comforter to her. She uses small force to prop her leg on the bed, lifting herself next to me. I reach over her to the lamp, pushing the off button leaving the room in mostly darkness. Small light from the window shines through, mostly from street lamps. I start to get comfy as Violet and I face each other. My eyes close while my mind tries to ease itself about tomorrow. "Y/N." Violet questions as my eyes open meeting her dark brown ones. When I'm starring into her eyes, all I can think about is him. "Where are we going tomorrow?" She questions as she adjusts to get more comfortable. "We're on a mission Violet. The world needs us." I explain in the most childish was I can. She wouldn't truly understand what we've all gone through. It's sad... I don't even know what she's been through. "Will I get to go?" She asks as my heart sinks just a little. I know Gally is right on this one. We have to keep her safe and at the moment, here with Amanda and Emily is the safest place for her. "Listen Violet. Jonah is probably so worried about you. Which is why you'll be staying here with Amanda and Emily while we are gone for a few days." I say a few days. In reality, I have no idea how long this will take. "But I wanna go on adventures with you guys." She replies with so much desire. I feel bad, but her safety is more important than anything. "Rule #2 remember? No sneaking around. Violet it is dangerous out there. I don't know how exposed you were to the outside world before, but you're my responsibility. Here is the safest place for you." I enforce in a gentle way as her sniffles start to come back. "Well then promise me all of you will come back." She cries sitting up. My heart begins to ache for her. I sit up holding my arms out for her. "Violet, of course we'll come back for you." I say as her small arms wrap around my neck. "I promise Violet... we would never leave you here." I add. Her sniffles begin to soften while she and I continue to hug. "Y/N." She states letting go of me. We make eye contact once again, but before I can even think about Newt, she says, "What happened to him?" My eyebrows furrow questioning her sudden change of subject. "To who Violet?" I ask as her face stays blank. "The guy who opened mine and Jonah's cell at the Wicked place. The one with the weird accent..."She explains, my stomach starting to twist "He's not really saving other kids... is he?" She adds with a sad tone of voice. I don't know what to say. I can't speak. My mouth feels as if it is glued shut. I slightly shake my head. "Did what happen to Brandon, happen to him?" She questions. Brandon... Emily's father... Amanda's husband. With hesitation, I slightly nod looking down at the white bed sheets. "I heard you and Amanda talking last night." She states without further explanation. "I'm sorry I lied to you Violet." I apologize as she shakes her head. "I wouldn't have understood. Now I do." She slightly smiles as I pull her into another hug. "Could you..." Violet starts, but doesn't speak more. I let her go as she lays her head on the pillow. "Could you sing to me... like Jonah would?" She questions. Sing? I've never really sang before. Her brown eyes stare into mine. She's homesick. She misses Jonah and the island. I don't really know if I blame her or not. "Ok." I smile putting my hand on the side of her face. I start to hum a tune I remember Teresa use to sing when we were kids. She closes her eyes listening as I hum this small tune that I slightly remember. I use my thumb to stroke her cheek, watching her body go limp. My eyes begin to grow heavy. Watching little Violet fall asleep to my voice gives me ease. Clams the inner storm building up inside of me. I let my hand off of her face before laying down myself. Using the rest of my power to bring up the blanket over the two of us, I feel the tiredness overpowering me, as I drift into a deep sleep.