Chapter 15~A Days End~

Y/N's POV
       Dr. Amy Wilson blabs away about the people and areas we will be working in. Why do the people here keep starring? Do I have something on my clothes? My face? I quickly look down at my clean scrubs, not a wrinkle in sight. Do they know it's me? That I'm Y/N Paige? As we're walking, my eyes transfer to each and every person. "Make sure you remember that... you'll need to know it." Amy mentions carrying on her lesson. Wait what did she say? I wasn't paying attention. "You'll need to know that's aw well." Dr. Amy Wilson adds. Okay Y/N! No more thinking! Pay attention! I shake my head away from my thoughts turning into the lesson. "And this is a patients room. To find a patients information, see to the clip board hanging beside the door." Amy explains grabbing the clip board. And she lost me. I start to examine the area around me. Lots of female nurses in identical scrubs to mine. Some male nurses in the same attire. The people in the white lab coats most be the doctors considering Dr. Amy Wilson is wearing one. Suddenly, I see a male and a female sneak into a janitors closet. I wonder what they're doing. "Olivia..." Could they be getting equipment? "Olivia?" Or maybe they're doing something they shouldn't. All the sudden, Aris nudges my shoulder. My attention is turned back towards the mini lesson. "Olivia... have you been listening at all?" Amy questions emphasizing the fake name Olivia. "Sorry." I apologize as she continues her lectures. "So let me show you how to chart patients in." Amy announces sitting down at a desk with a computer in front of her. Wait... when did we get here? I don't even remember walking here. "Make sure you always do that or else you'll get in serious trouble." Amy notes. I am missing everything! Why can't I stop getting distracted?! "Next I will show you the machines that are attached to the patient." Amy says before we begin to walk towards a patients room. Alright Y/N. No more thinking! I need to pay attention. "Always address a patient by their name... which can be found in the clip board I told you about earlier." Dr. Wilson winks before pulling down the board to check the name. She then knocks on the door. "Don't forget to knock." She mentions before walking inside the patients room. "Good morning Dawson!" How ya doin today?" Amy steps towards the man laying on the hospital bed as we all follow her. "I'm feeling much better today!" Dawson replies in a happy tone of voice. "Good to hear! If you don't mind, I'm going to be showing some of our newest members how we do things around here." Dr. Wilson states as the man shakes his head. "I don't mind at all!" He kindly agrees as Amy begins to point to the first machine. "This-." No, no, no. Why do I always zone out when the important things come up? Something is off today. For some reason I have the attention span of a dog seeing a squirrel. Once again Aris nudges me with his elbow. "What has gotten into you?" He questions whispering. "What are you talking about?" I ask back, a confused expression on my face. "You're not paying any attention. It's just not like you." Aris mentions with a worried tone of voice. "I don't know. I just can't seem to focus." I admit as he nods his head. "Just checkin' up." He smiles as do I. All I am left to think about is Aris. The Maze. We were so close. If I had the opportunity to go back... would I? What am I thinking? That's ridiculous. But what if we were forced to go back... how many of us would loose our minds? Everything was simple in the Maze. Going through the motions each and every day. Waking up, running, surviving, going to sleep. "And that wraps up our machinery that involves the patients." Amy finishes. This is going to be much harder than I thought.
       As we continue walking all around the 4th floor, Amy explains everything that we need to know. "This right here," she points to a door. "This is the break room." Amy opens the door revealing a table in the center, snacks on a little shelf, and a kitchen. "When you're on your lunch break, you can come in here and help yourself to any goodies we have." We follow her inside the room while she opens the cabinets revealing so many snacks and treats. "Now that we've covered everything the hospital has to offer, I will assign you to a task. Aris, Harriet, and Sonya... please wait outside." Dr. Wilson opens the door for them, closing it straight after they exit. Here we go. "Y/N..." Amy starts. "You didn't pay attention to anything I said, did you?" I put my face in my hands feeling a sense of shame. "Dr. Wilson... I'm just not cut out for this." I sigh as she lifts my head by a finger on my chin. "Y/N. If anyone can do this... it's you! Even if you don't get recruited, I know you can find a way into that city." Amy finishes pulling me into a small hug. "You have to put yourself out there or you'll never get anywhere. It's the mindset that counts." She encourages as I comfortingly hug her back. "Now, I'm going to have you bring new patients to their rooms. It's one of the easiest jobs, and will give you a feel for the place on your own." Amy smiles, her beautiful light blue eyes giving me a sudden boost of hope. Maybe I can do this. Maybe I can get recruited by Wicked.
       The five of us walk back to Amanda's penthouse after a long day in the hospital. It's about dinner time thankfully because I am starving. Aris and Sonya plop on the couch in the living room as delightful smells engulf my nostrils. "Get this thing off of me." I state pulling my w/c wig off of my head. Suddenly, more people walk through the entrance of her home. My eyes widen. What if that's a guard. A person willing enough to sell be back to Wicked for that $500,000 reward. "Y/N." Familiar voice speaks putting me as ease. I turn around seeing Thomas, Minho, Gally, and Fry. They must have just finished training. They look exhausted. "Wow... you guys look rough." Aris mentions laughing, Gally's red face, Frypan's urge to sit down, Thomas' coughing, and Minho's sweat pouring down his forehead. "Well." Frypan starts. "Let's just say being on the island hasn't exactly made us the most fit of the bunch." Gally laughs. "Says you! I feel great!" Minho jumps up and down. Thomas, Gally, and Fry turn back to the happy Asian with worn out faces. "I haven't felt this feeling since the Maze! I love it." Minho smiles so big. We all begin to laugh. "How was working at the hospital?" Thomas questions the four of us. "It wasn't bad at all! Amy showed us around, and we even got to do some individual work." Aris mentions as I think back to my task. Bringing people from the waiting room to a hospital room. Such a fun task. I watch as Thomas and Minho take off their disguises showing their true identities. "That wig was starting to get itchy." Thomas informs as I nod in agreement. "No kidding." Minho itches his head. All the sudden, Brenda enters the living room from the direction of the kitchen. "Finally you're all back. Dinner is ready." The words leaving her mouth made my stomach growl so much more. We follow her to the kitchen as the tasty smells get stronger. There is a large table set up and a plate in front of every chair. I sit down in front of my food as Thomas sits to my left, Minho on my right, Aris in front of me, Violet next to him, and everyone else scattered in their desired spots. The food is some sort of casserole. It looks so appetizing. "Thank you Ms. Amanda." Aris mentions as the rest of us thank this woman for helping us. "Anytime! Now eat up! I imagine you're starving." She smiles as I pick up my fork.
       I lay on my bed with wet hair starring at the ceiling. How did we get so lucky? For all we know, we could have ended up in an actual obedient Wicked city with a leader who wouldn't have hesitated to bring us to Wicked. I continue starring at the ceiling with my hands on my stomach. Wicked is still out there. It only makes me think that... my eyes shut close. That we will never be safe. Not until the cure has been made and distributed across the world. All I can do is hope. Hope that we make it into the city in one piece. Hope that we keep our identities a secret. Hope that we can finally end the terror of the Flare.