Chapter 23~Settling In~

Y/N's POV
       The bus comes to a sudden stop sending a few of us forward. Catching me off guard, I have only been able to pay attention to the amazing world inside these walls. General Tucker Cunningham turns around to us recruits sitting in every seat. "Doctor recruits... this is your stop. You three will be assigned a room. Your suitcases are outside." He mentions as Aris and I look at each other. I guess that's our cue to leave. I stand up grabbing my back pack. My attention is brought to Minho, Thomas, and Gally. I know I'll see them again. It just feels like I'm saying a silent goodbye to them. "Get a move on, we don't have all day." The general rushes as I walk down the isle filled with not only recruits, but the extra guards who came with. The other recruit is already off of the bus with her suitcase grasped in her hand. I step down the stairs walking toward my suitcase with my name on the front. Then an extra guard gets off with us. "I will be escorting you to your rooms while also explaining how we do things around here." He states starting at each one of us for a second at a time. None of us say anything, which I didn't think it was expected of us to speak. "Quiet crowd I see. Procedures will go smoothly." He starts walking towards the tall building. Looks as if it's an apartment complex... but much bigger of one than back at Amanda's city.
       As we follow behind this guard, I notice something about him. He has a limp in his leg. I shake my head. No no Y/N... he's dead. Stop thinking about him. The guard leads us towards an elevator. I feel sudden déjà vu from when Shawn first took us to Amanda's penthouse. But this is much more scary. This guard is an actual Wicked guard in red and blue uniform. He is not someone I want to mess around with. The elevator doors open as the four of us pile in one by one. I cant help but feel under pressure. It scares me how well I was able to hide away my identity. "You're all on the 3rd story." I manage to hear the guard say bringing me out of my mind. The slight tune of music plays while the elevator slowly makes its way up to the third floor. Aris and I stand shoulder to shoulder, and the other recruit is standing on the opposite side of the guard. I look to my left seeing a mirror. For a second, I'm scared of my reflection. As if I forgot who I really am. That I forgot Olivia Scott is just a fake girl covering up a pool of lies. The ding of the elevator turns my attention to the door as it slides open. Without saying a word, the guard continues to walk.
"Abby, this is your apartment." The guard addresses handing her a key attached to a stretchy wrist band. He rotates facing across the hallway, "Aris. This is yours." Aris is handed a key identical to the one he gave Abby. "And Olivia..." He starts walking about 6-7 steps away from the others rooms. "This is yours." He hands me the same key that he gave the others. "Before you get settled in, there are some things I am required to address with you." He walks in between the three of us. "Most obviously, you are sharing this building with other citizens, so just keep that in mind. This will be your home until further notice." He starts off, his voice hypnotizing me into boredom. "Next is curfew. Mandated city curfew for everyone is midnight, no later. Patrols take over as soon as 12 hits, and you will be fined or worse if found breaking curfew. So just don't do it, ok?" He states using his hands to explain his speech. "If you need any assistance while staying here, the people who own these apartments are very friendly and will help. We won't worry about discussing rent until you've been settled in a few months. Security is easily accessible. Dialing 9252 on your home phone will call security." The guard clears his throat. "Today is sort of a free day for you guys. Doctors don't get off days often because ya know... disease and stuff," The guard laughs. Seeing he has a sense of humor is comforting. "Ahem... take this time to get settled in, meet new people, explore the city." As soon as the guard says explore the city, Aris and I look at each other. We know what we're doing when this guy stops talking. "Last thing. Mandatory temperature checks are required every day before entering the hospital. If you're temperature reads 100 degrees or over, we are required to report you. Just don't be surprised when they check your temperature. Got it?" The man asks as we nod our heads in understanding. "Any questions." He adds, no one responding. "Alright then, get settled in and I'll be around if you need me." As soon as he stops speaking, I turn around sticking the key into the door opening it. Of course it's nothing compared to Amanda's penthouse, but it's quite nice. Right when you walk in, there's a couch and a television. Farther past the living area is a small detailed kitchen with white cabinets and lightly colored countertops. The walls are a light gray color, and most of the furniture is white. I walk in more to the smell of fresh cut grass and wood. The smell is soothing reminding me of the nature in the Glade. I open a door leading to a small bedroom with a pretty decent sized bed. There's nightstands on either side, and a work space. A separate door in the room leads to a closet, and there's another door leading to a small bathroom. I sigh placing my hands on the countertops. A new place farther and farther from the island we were supposed to call home.
A knock appears on my door. I haven't even had time to 'settle in' as we were told to do. I have to stay packed in case we need to make a quick and quiet escape. I make my way to the door looking in the small peep hole in the center. I see Aris standing patiently probably waiting to go explore the city. Mainly to find a breech in the walls around it. I open the door as Aris smiles. "Your apartment is nice." He compliments. I start to laugh. "Doesn't it look the same as yours?" I questions. Aris smiles with a slight nod. "But something is more familiar about yours. It smells like fresh cut grass and wood, just like-." He starts while I finish his sentence. "Just like the Glade use to smell?!" He laughs walking inside the door. "Exactly like the Glade use to smell." Aris adds. I close the door behind him. "I wonder where the others are staying." I wonder aloud. Aris looks over at me and shrugs. "Your guess is as good as mine. But we should use this time to find a way in and out of the city." Aris suggests getting straight to business. I nod. "Any idea on where to start? This place is massive." Aris stands up once again shrugging. "On the way here, I noticed one side of the city was more run down than the area we're in. There were much more abandoned buildings. Maybe we start there?" He points out as I think back to the ride here. I guess I was too preoccupied by the beautiful sights of the city, I didn't pay much attention to that part. "Sure! Do you happen to know which way to go?" I question. Aris closes his eyes shaking his head. "Maybe we start by going to the edge of the city where the wall is. We can do a perimeter check there." I mention as his face lights up. "Perfect!"