Chapter 19~Recruiting Day Pt. 1~

Y/N's POV
Recruiting Day
       My eyes flutter open to Minho standing in my doorway. Once I fully wake up, I realize that he's waiting for me to reply to something he said. "What?" I say sitting up from my head laying on my desk. I look down seeing my journal, and the page I wrote in it yesterday. I feel good... I'm not overly tired or upset. I'm not worried or anything! I look back over at Minho slamming my journal closed. "What?" I ask again as he chuckles. "Y/N, I've repeated myself 3 times already." Minho mentions crossing his arms, leaning into the doorway. "Well it's not my fault I just woke up." I reply standing up feeling almost embarrassed at the fact that I fell asleep on my desk. "I said....." Minho starts lengthening the 'd' in said. "Y/N wake up. Today is a big day." He finishes waiting for my response to his comment that he apparently said for the 4th time now. My eyes widen as I remember. It's Recruiting Day. I quickly start digging into the drawers for the professional scrubs I'm supposed to wear. I start to take off my shirt, but I quickly pull it down remembering Minho is still standing there starting at me with his training uniform on. "What are you still doing here? Get out!" I shout giggling, throwing a pillow from the bed at him. "Okay okay sheesh." He rolls his eyes, shutting the door behind him. I feel different. I feel so... good! Talking with Amanda last night I guess really helped. Shaking my head away from my thoughts, I start to get ready.
       "Okay! Okay I'm ready!" I shout running down the stairs as Thomas and Minho are calmly sitting down. "What are you doing?! We're going to be late!" I urge as they both start laughing. "What?!" I question in a frantic state. "Y/N, we're not late. We still have 30 minutes before we need to leave." Thomas explains. Frustrated, I take the itchy w/c wig off of my head. "So why did you wake me up Minho? Usually you only wake me up when I'm late." I question as he shrugs. "I wanted to make sure you were up. That's all. We're not late, so stop stressing." He smiles as I put the wig on the coffee table in the living room. I sit down rubbing my eyes to completely wake up. Maybe I also rub my eyes to make sure I'm actually awake. That this life I'm living isn't some dream that I'll wake up from. "She didn't even sleep in her bed last night." Minho tells Thomas as they both laugh. "What do you mean?" Thomas asks. "She fell asleep on the desk in her room." Minho teases as Thomas looks over at me. "What we're you doing?" Thomas questions me. Obviously I don't want to tell them the full story. The whole me staying up talking to Amanda about Newt. "I fell asleep writing in my journal." I reply adding, "A total normal thing to do." Minho furrows his eyebrows at my statement before shrugging it off.
       Sitting here for what feels like forever, the others finally make their way into the living room. Aris, Harriet, Sonya, Gally, and Frypan. After the 5 of them, Amanda walks into the room with Emily holding her hand. I guess the others are still asleep. It's not exactly a normal waking time. "Are you 8 all ready?" Amanda asks as Shawn walks through the penthouse front door. Most of us nod but Gally decides to speak. "No." He replies with a serious tone. Everyone turns to look at the freckled boy as he chuckles a little bit. He clears his throat and nods, "Carry on." I shake my head slightly giggling at Gally's urge to make this a less serious ordeal. "Alright. Today will feel like a normal day. The doctor trainees will work in the hospital, and the guard trainees in the guard academy. The only different thing is a Wicked supervisor will be watching you and recording your skills. They will pick 5 guards and 3 doctors in each city they visit. Later tonight, there will be a broadcast announcing the recruits. Whoever is recruited will leave for the city tomorrow morning." Amanda explains as everything pretty much is self explanatory. I start to feel butterflies forming in my stomach. I can't exactly tell if it's just straight nerves, or if I'm suddenly getting sick with a stomach flu. "Alright, guard trainees come with me." Shawn announces as all 4 of the boys line up behind him. "Y/N." Minho whispers as I turn my head towards him. He motions me to come over to him. I do as he asks when he leans in close to whisper inside my ear. "Get into that city, Y/N." He says. "Whatever it takes." Once he finishes, the four of the leave the penthouse. Minho's words repeat over and over in my mind. Whatever it takes.
Walking to the hospital is only a blur in my mind. We've walked this route to many times to count, it all is so familiar. Stepping through security like a normal day. Like nothing important. Like an ordinary day that doesn't count on us getting into that city, and saving the world. "97.9." Security guard Joe informs checking me in for the day. "Good luck to you all." He states with a happy smile on his face. What a nice man. I wonder how friendly he would be if he knew who I really was. Y/N Paige... the wanted girl that has been falsely accused for being a terrorist of Ava's city. Everyone passes temperature check like normal. Why wouldn't we... most of us are immune.
       As we make it up the elevator, I notice myself starting to feel those butterflies from before. Now I know for a fact they are nerves, and not just a stomach flu. One thing in common though... I feel as if I might throw up. The elevator dings reminding us that we've made it to our destination. As soon as the doors open, two Wicked guards in red and blue uniforms stand at the entrance with clipboards and weapons. "Name." The guard questions Amy. I figured since she was the main doctor here, she would be recognized on the spot. "Amy Wilson." She speaks as they let her by. "Name." The same guy questions. "Aris Jones." Aris mentions as they let him by. Jones? Was he assigned that last name, or did he make that up on the spot? Maybe he actually remembers his full name. Before I know it, Harriet and Sonya make it past with their names on the clipboard. "Name." The man questions me. I swallow clearing my throat. "Olivia." I reply. "Olivia what?" The guard on the right questions. "What?" I ask in the same tone he questioned me. "You have a last name?" The guard with the clip board sassily argues with a rude tone. I feel my blood start to boil. The raw hatred I feel for Wicked sparking up inside me. "Do you really need my last name? Or are you just trying to be an asshole?" I remark stepping closer to the guard glaring up at him. He's tall, and although I can't see his facial features through his mask, I can tell he wasn't expecting my sudden remark. "Excuse me." He says in disapproval. Does he really think he can waltz in here, and act as if he's the one in charge. "Oh you heard me." I stare with that anger. An anger I wasn't expecting to come out of me. A hatred for this man, and this organization. Amy starts to laugh to break the tension. "Oh Olivia. Always making the jokes. It's Olivia Scott. Come on now." Amy answers for me pulling me away before I overstep the line I crossed moments before. Part of me is thankful she pulled me away. Just then, I could have completed uncovered my identity, and the plan would be ruined. "Are you trying to get yourself kicked out." Amy whispers in my ear, tightly holding my arm close to hers, walking away from the guards. "I'm sorry but-." I try. "No Y/N! There is no but to it. You want to get into that city? Then maybe it's a good idea to not insult the Wicked people." She whispers letting go of my arm aggressively. Now I'm very glad Amy cut in when she did. I almost blew it. I just couldn't stand to listen to them talk to me as if I should be obeying them. They aren't my people. They aren't my allies. They are my enemies, and they always will be.
       I start by doing exactly what I've been doing the past few days. Checking on patients, and seeing how they're doing. I hope there's not another incident like yesterday. I don't think I can handle that. Speaking of, I see Ryan Davis' room on my scheduled route checking. Maybe I should check on him. I take a big inhale in. Please be alive this time. Please be alive this time. I knock twice on the door before pulling the handle down, walking through the door. The sight puts me at ease as his heart monitor beats moving up and down. His head turns over towards me and realization comes over me. Oh no. Please don't- "Hey! You're that nurse that saved my life yesterday! Olivia is it?" He mentions sitting straight up. I close my eyes to calm myself. "That's me." I say with a fake smile. "I just wanted to say thank you so much. I get to see my family another day thanks to you." He replies as my heart sinks. I wanted to say you're welcome. Take credit for saving his life, because that is what I did. But I can't help but feel guilty at the fact that I thought I was saving someone else. "That's my job. Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta get back to work." I finish about to turn towards the door. "Wait!" He insists as I spin back to him. "Did you see the news broadcast yesterday? Your story was the top headline!" He informs as my eyes widen. "Yea! Wanna see?" He offers a black square to me. I walk in his direction gently taking the black thing with a bunch of little gray buttons on it. How do I use this? "Could you do it? I don't- uh." I start as he reaches his hand back out. "No worries. I can pull it up." He smiles taking the thing from me. Thank goodness he didn't make me explain. I don't know what I was going to say. Out of no where, the screen turns bright, and images of places, things, and people come up. It's astonishing. It's... incredible. It reminds me of the small video my people watched after escaping the Maze Trials. Where Dr. Ava Paige shot herself. Or so we thought anyway. I start to bite my nails as the stations flip from one to another. Then finally a news report flashes on the screen with beautiful dark skin and short dark hair. Wow she's gorgeous. "Good Morning. I am Nancy Jones back with another news broadcast with the main headline of the mysterious boat that arrived in the city just a couple days ago. People who sailed in from the ocean were let into the city with no conformation as to who these new comers are, and why they were easily let into the city. Rumors are they have come here to help while other say they are secret terrorist ready to tear the city down." The news reporter announces while continuing. "Although we have no identity of these people, one woman who is named Olivia actually is working in the hospital as we speak, and saved a man's life yesterday. Mr. Ryan J. Davis went into cardiac arrest for many minutes. If it wasn't for this woman who showed up on the boat a few days ago, he might not have made it to see another day." I slowly start to tune her voice out of my head as she switches topics. "I have to get back to work." I barely can hear myself speak as I swiftly make my way towards the door. Once I leave, I shake my head focusing on the bigger problem at hand. Getting into that damn Wicked city.
       Time moves slowly at a fast pace. I can't even wrap my head around what exactly I feel right now. My name....well my fake name... was on the news. It's strange. I know who I really am. Y/N Paige who has the antibodies to the Flare, but I am also Olivia Scott who is supposed to be a nurse trying to get into Wicked. What a weird feeling it is. As I walk behind the desk, I notice something. A random clipboard with stacks of papers clipped in. At the top of the page is printed neatly in bold black ink. "WCKD". There's no way. I look to my left. No one. My right... two nurses talking facing the opposite direction. I look down at the page flipping up the first one revealing a table chart with a list of names. Some crossed out while others are still legible. I scan down the list. Sonya's name is crossed out as well as Harriet's. I scan more down flipping to the next page. Aris Jones... his name is still legible. Aris could do it! He really has a chance to qualify. Looking down the page a little more, there my name is... Olivia Scott with black ink crossed through the middle of it. They already decided I'm not cut out to be in the city.  I flip all of the pages back with form of sadness. As much as I dispise Wicked and everything they do... I need to get into that city. I look back to my right at the other nurses. One of them has left, so its just the one with brown hair typing into the computer software. Out of no where, I watch a man come up to her, placing his hand on her lower back. And I mean her LOWER back. My heart jumps a little as I pay attention. Who is he? I search his body for an answer as if it will magically pop in front of me. He's not wearing scrubs... no lab coat. Is that? I watch as a black pen drops from his pocket. I squint my eyes to the pen reading a label. The same stupid label on the recruiting sheets. "WCKD".  He's the recruiter. The bastard who crossed my name off that list. He bends down picking up the pen from the floor, then stepping even closer to the nurse. Suddenly, he puts his hand on her butt, and she instantly pushes him by his shoulders. "Get off of me sicko." The nurse shouts walking away from him with disgust and hatred in his eyes. The man looks around and pulls his jacket more over him as if he's trying to look professional. I can't believe what I just saw. I start to cringe looking back down at the paper and clipboard. Suddenly an idea pops in my mind. A very very dumb idea.

The Maze Runner -Flare In Flames- |Newt X Reader|On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara