Chapter 16~An Act of Hope~

Newt's POV
       "Get him up." The guard orders the other two male guards as I fake sleep on my rock hard bed. Now's my chance. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm coming Y/N. As one guard grasps my shoulder, I snatch his arm with my other hand. Using the rest of my strength, I flip the guard over leaving him on the bed. The second guard realizes what's happening immediately charging at me with all of his force. I quickly move out of the way pushing the man to the wall. The first guard gets up again until I push him towards the other one. As the guard in charge starts to hurry away with his walkie-talkie, I chase after him. Before he could get a word in on the communication device, I grab his arm making the man drop the talkie. "How do I get out of here?!" I demand with a forceful grip on his arm. He doesn't say anything. I start to twist his arm backwards with anger on my face. He tries to squirm away. Why are these guards so weak? "Talk!" I order as he falls to the floor completely. "Okay okay. I'll talk." He whines and continues. "The front doors on the first floor, but you'll never get there. Guards swarm this floor of the facility, and you need administration access to get through doors and elevators. You might as well surrender now." I begin to laugh. "Not a chance. Give me your key card." I demand while he reaches down with his hand. "Look man, you don't want to do this. If you stop now, I'll forget this happened. We all will! I promise. Just don't do this." The man begs, a pitiful expression across his face. I figured this part of the escape would be harder. "You really think I'm just going to trust you? Hell no. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got someone I need to find." I finish, kicking him in the face, and knocking him out completely. Then I take the administration key card that he was never going to hand me.
       I quickly get inside a janitor's closet before anyone can see me. I have to hurry up before someone realizes I've escaped. I run my fingers through my oily hair. I can's just sit here feeling sorry for myself. Y/N is out there somewhere, and I'm not going to give up until I see her again... until I see them all again. I open the door of the closet leading into the big hallway filled with people in white lab coats as well as guards in blue and red uniform. As I'm walking, I get a few stares, but nothing that indicates that I've been caught. I'm wearing pretty normal clothes and mostly keeping my head down, so the least they will ask is what a citizen of the city is doing in the main headquarters. I approach the silver doors of the elevator, and I swipe the key card for access to the mechanism. The doors automatically open, thankfully with no one inside. As I step in, I look at the long list of numbered buttons indicating every available floor. 50 floors total. Without hesitation, I press the number 1 button as the doors start to shut. A quiet elevator music starts to play keeping the silence away. I stare as the numbers slowly go down one by one. 47...46...45. I stand there with my heart pounding. Would they kill me if they caught me? They think I know where the Right Army is. All I know is that they planned on sailing to a distant island to start civilization. I don't know where, and I don't even know if they are still alive. My heart drops into my stomach. What if I'm too late? What if Y/N is dead? The thought makes my stomach sick, but for some reason... that is all I can think about. She has to be alive, right? There is no way possible that she nor the others are dead. They are strong... they made it to the safe haven. They had to of. I shake away from my thoughts for a moment to check on the floor I'm on. 23...22...21. The elevator music still softly plays over the speaker. What if she's moved on? What if...my heart starts to ache a little. What if she doesn't feel the same way she did all that time ago? The thought gives me goosebumps. I should have kissed her sooner. I should have- Before I can think anymore, the elevator door starts to open. I look up at the floor number reading floor number 13. Making sure I pressed the right button, I look down at the long list of floors and the buttons next to them. The number 1 button is lit up. Then, a man in a coat steps in giving me a warm smile. You filthy bastard, don't act like you're so perfect. The man hits the number 4 as the doors of the elevator start to close. "Been a quiet afternoon, don't you think?" The doctor, I'm assuming that's what he is, breaks the silenced tension in the air. "Indeed it has." I reply having absolutely no clue what on earth he could be talking about. What has been quiet? The fact that no one has figured out I'm gone yet. "Heading to floor 1 I see... you must be a patient of some sort." The doctor continues the conversation. Oh my bloody hell please stop talking to me. "Yes sir." I state watching the numbers of floors slowly going down. 6...5...4. The elevator stops as the doors open signaling the mans stop. "Have a great rest of your day." He mentions before starting to walk out. Before he fully makes it out of the elevator, he turns back to me. "You look very familiar." The doctor mentions as my eyes slightly widen. "I get that a lot." I laugh hoping he buys it. His eyes squint before his eyes wide. "You're subject A'5" He states. Before he can say anymore, I look over at the close door button on the side. "What are you talking-." I try but he just interrupts me. "You are wanted." He claims. He starts to walk closer to me as I shove him out the elevator doors and pushing the close button. The man tries to get up, but can't in time before the doors close completely. Well if they didn't know I escaped before... they do now.
       As the last few numbers come up, an alarm starts to go off. Yep they definitely know I've escaped. Right when this door opens, I have to make a run for it. The number changes from 2 to 1 and the doors slowly open. In the main lobby area guards are everywhere. Maybe if I just walk and don't bring attention to myself, I can make it outta here. I slowly start to walk making my way towards the big sliding doors. So close. "Hey you! Stay where you are! Don't you know we're in lock in right now?" A voice shouts behind me. I'm sorry Y/N. I start to sprint as fast as I can with my limp towards the big sliding doors. "That's him!" I hear the same man shout. I make it to the door, but they won't open. "Stop where you are kid. The doors are sealed. You're not going anywhere." He responds as I turn around facing the men in red and blue uniform. Suddenly, I grab the chair that's next to the door, and smash it against the glass as hard as I can. The glass window next to the door shatters offering me a way out. "Open fire! Open fire!" The guard announces as they all start to fire their guns at me. I jump through the broken glass landing on the hard pavement outside. My eyes slowly open to guards surrounding the building pointing their weapons at me. "Subject A'5... you are under arrest." Another guard announces through a megaphone. I stand up. "Oh come on. Don't act like I wasn't already in jail." I state the obvious as I look around me. There's no where to go. No where to run. I... I failed. I'm never going to see her again. I stare out at the ginormous city that I'm in. All of the tall buildings and the futuristic attributes. A sudden screen grabs my attention. A wanted sign with my face on it. Then the screen flashes to see Tommy's face with his tag number underneath reading A'2. Then Minho's face comes over the screen. A'7. Finally, Y/N's face takes over the screen. Her beautiful e/c eyes and h/c hair. I never thought I'd see her face again. Even if it's just a picture... it makes me smile. Her subject letter A'1 comes up, and what I saw next was surprising. A $500,000 reward for whoever turns her in... alive. I suddenly feel a bitter taste in my mouth. Y/N... please for the love of God stay on that island. I hold out my hands for the guards to come cuff me. All the sudden, Mason walks up to me without saying a word. "What? Never had anyone get so close to escaping before?" I question sarcastically with a laugh. He smiles a devilish smile. "You're going to wish you didn't do that Newt." Mason turns around towards the guards. "Get him to a new cell. Wait for me to give further instruction." Mason suddenly turns back to me. "Get ready for a hell of a fun time." He states as the guards walk to me with handcuffs in their hands.
       The guards sit me in a chair, tying my ankles to the legs of the chair and my wrists to the arms of the chair. I am sitting in front of a large screen, unable to figure out what is it I'm doing here. Suddenly, Mason walks in without saying a word. He coms straight up to me as he punches me in the cheek. "I have thought of a punishment for you Newt. Something that will hurt more than beating you to near death." Mason smiles, kind of scaring me. Of course I can't let him know I'm intimidated. "Mason, when have you ever been able to hurt my feelings with a few words? Nothing you do will even come close to the pain I felt slowly turning into a crank." He smiles at me before pushing a button on a remote. The screen in front of me brightens up as he moves out of the way. "What the hell am I looking at?" I question staring at some sort of surveillance footage. I feel Mason's presence behind me. "Just watch." He replies blankly. As I stare at the footage, I see two people come into the line of sight of the camera. I freeze realizing what this is. I watch as I fall to the ground while Y/N drags me across the floor. I start to squirm from the restraints. I put my head down so I don't have to watch, my breathing heavy with anger. I feel Mason grip the side of my head, forcing my head back up. I try to pull away, but it's no use. I watch the footage as I slowly stand up, and she turns to look back at me. "You're sick Mason! You hear me!?" I shout forcefully pulling but the restraints keep me in my chair. I tackled her to the ground, trying to bite her. I can't do this. Suddenly I observe myself pulling the gun up towards my head, but Y/N knocks the gun away from me. "Mason please." I beg closing my eyes. Then I see the knife pulled from my pocket. I force my head away, but Mason forces my attention back at the screen. I start to push the knife into her chest. Deep, so deep. Right above her heart. She pushes me off of her with agony on her face. "Mason!" I shout tears building up in my eyes. I swing the knife back and forth at her, slightly cutting her on the arms. "That wasn't me!" I shout, my eyebrows furrows down while tears start to stream down my cheeks.  "You can keep telling yourself that Newt. But all she saw was the love of her life trying to kill her." Mason replies to my comment from before. "Screw you Mason." I try again to get out of the chair. Mason forces me to look at the screen as she stares at me with the knife in my chest. Tears continue to stream down her cheeks as I fall to the floor. She catches my fall bringing me to the ground. She's shaking me. Although I cannot hear, I can see her yelling. As she does, she flips around laying down next to me. She runs her fingers through her hair, pulling on it. I watch as she gets up starring at Thomas and Minho who just arrived. She then stares at Minho before turning around and running in the other direction. Minho collapses next to my body as Thomas does the same. I did that to her. "Get him to his cell. I'm sure he'll feel that for a little while." Mason orders as two men start to untie me from the chair. My hearing has gone muffled. I don't fight it, I let them take me. My mouth dry with regret and remorse. I deserve this. This is my punishment. The pain I've caused her... she thinks I'm dead. The two guards pick up my limp body, dragging me away. I'm never going to see her again.