part 41: Spaceship?

"almost there now... just a few more steps."

"Er... Oookaaay...?"

You continued on, taking slow, tentative steps towards the mysterious location. Your slow walking was met with an impatient grunt.

"Come on, (nickname), pick up the pace a bit!"

You snorted crossly, scrunching your muzzle into a pout. "Well (name) can't see, so (name) is cautious." you huffed, lifting a paw to gesture to the pink hands covering your eyes, to which spinel giggled at. "Spinel will be (name)'s eyes, so (name) no worry." she replied, mimicking your speech, making you grunt in response as you reluctantly picked up your pace. "Don't worry, we're just abooouuut..." there was a lengthy pause, making you slow your pace back down until she exclaimed; "Stop!"

"Okay, now!" as soon as steven exclaimed this, the weight from your eyes lifted from your eyes, allowing you to finally take a good look at your surroundings. Hmm? your eye squints as you look up at a massive red house like structure, with a black roof and white accents and a silo that leaned out of place beside it. Inside of it was a magnitude of human clutter, ranging from vehicle parts and random objects. You tipped your head to the side slightly. Interesting... your eyes than focus on a sign suspended over the entrance. "...UUU space travel?" You and pearl asked in unison, giving the young duo a curious look. "What is this?"

Excitedly, steven suddenly ran from you all and gestured ahead of him. "We built a space ship!" Your eyes widened in surprise. "space ship?" You questioned, directing your gaze to where his hand pointed. "A space ship!" he affirms proudly. you saw a...

Well... a cute attempt at a space ship.

The base was made of what looked like wood, with a black leather seat, a plastic windshield, and four small toy-like wheels. completeing its look was a traffic cone nailed on the front as a nose and two wings attached to the sides with tape.

...It looked more like a funland ride than a genuine spaceship if you were to be completely honest.

"...Oooooh!" your eyes nonetheless lit up at the hand-made vessel, touched by the fact they went out of their way to try and make a space ship for you and pearl. And it wasn't even too bad of an attempt, for mere humans, after all!

...well to you, anyways.

"...A space ship." she sounded anything BUT enthusiastic, as she lifts a brow in what looked like disappointment.

Steven nonetheless hopped into the vessel, putting on a helmet and goggles as he prepares to take flight down the hill. As he did, Greg knelt down to the boy. "Now, remember steven," he said, resting a hand on the vessel's back. "if you run into any trouble out there, you can always bail." He advised. "there's never any shame in bailing." You snapped your head up to give the man a incredulous look. Wait, what? "Fatherly advice understood!" Steven affirmed. "Thank you, dad!" With a salute, he turns back determinedly. "Light the engines." Greg straightens up and salutes his son. "Roger that!" He then produces a sparkler and match, lighting the fuse and setting it in the back. "Next stop: outer space!" With this cue, spinel steps forth and gives the ship a firm shove, sending the boy rolling down the hill, towards a wooden ramp.

...However once it neared the ramp, it soon started to fall apart, much pearl's, spinel's and your alarm. Spinel gasps, while you and pearl yelp in panic, with you jumping to your paws and hooves. You leaned forward, in panic as pearl clutched your shoulder absentmindedly, following your movement. Thankfully, once he realized the inevitable, Steven jumped out, just as the spaceship collided with a Boulder, shattering on impact.

"Steven!?" As you leapt and ran down the hill to check on the child, pearl fixes greg and spinel with an unimpressed glare. "...I think your calculations may have been off." Spinel giggled nervously, giving an 'oopsie' shrug while greg just looked apprehensive.

"Well, they can't be off if you don't do any..."
~~~~~~~~~

"Did you really think this was gonna work?"

Pearl gestured to the cute, childish drawing of steven in a rocketship, incredulous. Greg, who was seated on a crate and steven, who was seated on the ground against your chest beside spinel, gave honest shrugs. "I mean, It looked promising enough, ya know?" spinel gave more of a clueless sneer than a smile, making pearl scoff lightly. "Here, Look," Flipping the board to a clear side, she began to draw up an example. "you need smooth, curving surfaces, or you'll never gonna get enough speed to break earth's gravitational pull." That... makes sense. Unconsciously, you pointed at the diagram's image. "An aerodynamic design." you suddenly spoke up, catching pearl's attention. "Swept back wings, for supersonic flight, and airtight cockpit with ejector seat for emergency exit." Pearl's face lit up, like a teacher when a student gave them the correct answer. "Yes, yes, excellent, (name)!" She turned back to the board, and resumed drawing and touching up the diagram, much to the awe of steven and spinel and painful confusion to greg. You just focused intently as the pearl continued. "And we'll need some serious engines, or maybe rockets will be better."

"We vote rockets!" Steven and Spinel piped in unison before greg jolted in alarm. "Whoa whoa, hold on a sec." He sounded nervous. "We're not actually talking about building something like this.. Right?"

"What? This??" she gestured to the complex drawing, detailing the parts and shape of what a spaceship should look like and shook her head. "Of course not. That would be ridiculous." she then looked contemplative as she continued to speak. "I mean yes, theoretically, it's not a stretch. You've got plenty of spare parts here," she looked into the building full of vehicle clutter. "Albeit for incredibly primitive propulsion-based space travel. The idea is ludicrous." she looked down, brows furrowed, but still thoughtful. "It would never work..." A sudden light flickered in her eyes. "Although... Several humans.. A monkey and a dog did make it into space... I don't know why I've never even thought about it before," Suddenly, her eyes filled with excitement, as she turned to face you all, smiling brightly. "This could actually work!"

"Uh.." You, steven and greg all said in unison while spinel was just wearing a confused smile, like every pearl had said flew over her head. Pearl walked over to you all, unconsciously setting a hand on your head. "I hear what your saying, and I agree," she affirmed, lost in her own enthusiasm. "It would be incredibly dangerous, a fool's errand." She suddenly yanks out a ball of stuffing from a nearby chair and holds it upto greg's face. "this chair is disgusting," She gets into the confused man's face as well. "But aren't the true fools the ones who don't seize an opportunity, despite all the inherent risks?" She drops the piece of stuffing into his palm, clenching her fist determinedly. "And I'd be able to show steven the wonders of the cosmos! (Name) could possibly find another piece to her past!" She turns away, becoming more excited by the second. "And maybe... just for a second, from a distance.. I could see what's been going on without me." she was about ready to poof from excitement. "ALL RIGHT! LET'S DO IT!"

At once, steven and spinel climbed atop your withers pumping their fists into the air as the shouted in unison;

"UUU SPACE TRAVEL GOOOO!"