part 40: getting closer..

"woah."

my stars... woah is an understatement.

you looked around in awe at the rich blue surroundings of the smooth blue plateau, surrounded by six massive shiny jagged crystallize rock formations surrounding the summit like a massive crown jutting up from the ocean, which were surrounded by smaller islands. and circling you all were about 16 other warp pads, many of which had cracks, or some kind of damage evident on them. apperantly, they had to check to see if these warp pads were still active.

as you walk over to one of the many warp pads, garnet proceeds to step onto one of the nearest warp pads, looking down at it for a second. "inactive."

at once steven steps forward and marks the pad with a crying breakfast friends sticker he had brought along. a slightly childish but cute and clever way of marking the broken warps.

the other gems fan out and do the same with various other warp pads, all of which are the same answer.

Inactive.

"do we have to check all of them?" amethyst asked, already quite bored of the activity. "they're all still inactive, like always."

garnet looked over at her teammate, with a serious air about her. "we need to make sure." she affirmed sternly. steven looked around, quite amazed at the obscene amount of warps in one place. "I've never seen so many warp pads before," he exclaimed pulling out two more stickers. "hope I have enough of these crying breakfast friends stickers." spinel, who was poking at a damaged warp pad looked up and smiled brightly at him. "oh! don't worry bout that, stevie," she sprung to his side, reaching upto her gem and pulling out a few extra packets. "me and (nickname) brought plenty more!" she whips her head to flash a toothy smile at you. "right, (nickname)?"

you looked up at spinel, and flashed her a brief thumbs-up with a grin and brief nod before going back to tracing the cracks along the warp pad. the duo giggled softly at this. "good ol' (nickname)." steven noted, setting his hands on his hips with an approving smile with spinel nodding in agreement. "where do all these warp pads go anyway?"

pearl took a seat on the warp pad to get to steven's height and gave him a little smile. "Well, Steven, these Warp Pads were used to travel off-planet," she explained. "They were our connection to the Gem Homeworld and to Gem-controlled planets all over the universe." she gestured to the starry sky, making your eyes widen.

Gem Homeworld...

it struck you like a gauntlet to the head. it dragged your mind back to lazuli's words and desperate attempts.

I just... want to go home.

...so that's what she was talking about...

...Homeworld.

your eyes narrowed as you looked down at the warp pad beneath your paw and once again traced over the cracks, leaning down to get a closer look of the damage. "...hm." without thinking, you stepped onto the cracked warp pad and sat atop of it, looking down at the dulled platform, as if you were expecting it to somehow work before redirecting your gaze back up to the sky, unconsciously scanning the stars.

that's funny... you thought, flicking your gaze between the sky and the six jagged tips circling it.

this place didn't seem quite... familiar a few minutes ago...

"(name)."

With a start, you tore your gaze away from the starry sky only to flinch as you saw yourself in the visors of garnet, who was standing quite close to you, with her hands on her hips.