chapter eighteen

Third Person POV

Third Person POV

Sunwoo dreaded leaving Heiji every time he was with her. The dread of going home however, wasn't wholly because she wouldn't be there with him.

His relationship with his mother and sister were great at most. He loved them more than anyone, and he loved them more than he loved his father. Nothing was perfect in anyone's home, but it especially wasn't perfect in the Kims' home. His father was beyond a typical strict Korean parent. If either his children or wife did not obey his strictness or if his words did not transfer properly into the reality he expected from his family - the house would be like living in hell. 

No, he was never physically abusive, he would never lay a hand on the children or his wife, he loved them more than he could ever show them. He used his authority in the house to the best of his ability, using his mentally manipulative tactics to punish them if things were not done to his standard. That included his childrens grades, career paths, and relations of any sort. When it came to his wife, those things didn't apply, he was only critical of how tidy she would keep the house for him and how good the food she made for him tasted. You could say he was emotionally abusive. 

Sunwoo watched the misery he put the two most important women in both of their lives through, and he knew that when he became a grown man - he never wanted to be like him.

In school, Sunwoo was bright and smart. It just never transpired as he hid it beneath his hard and intimidating exterior. In a sense, if his father got his own way, Sunwoo would have appeared differently and probably wouldn't have mad many friends or fit in at school. 

His father was delighted at how smart his children had turned out that he neglected every other attribute they held, he didn't care about much else. At this stage in their life, their brains were what would carry them through life. 

His father even ignored the times that Sunwoo would run away from home for days. He had good grades, he kept them up, and he barely worried about his sons whereabouts. He was a clever boy, he'd figure it out for himself. 

Notably, Sunwoo did not fear his father. He knew that now, at his age, there was an escape from him if he needed, but he wouldn't leave his mother and sister to suffer with the man. He would figure it out for himself. In the meantime, this was something Heiji would not know. 

Heiji stares at her phone, blinking a couple times to see if she read the message right, before showing it to Kevin who sat beside her. "Well?"

"Well what?" Heiji groaned. "What do I do?"

"What's the harm in going?" Kevin argues. "As far as I can tell, you guys have been great friends for years before all of this. And I love Jinsoul, I do - but there's two sides to everything. The least you could do is hear him out."

"The thing is, I don't even believe there is another side to this story. I've experienced just a fragment of what she experienced. Do you believe his side of things could be plausible?"