Chapter 25

LIFE was significantly different after the blood moon ball.

For one, two members had dropped out of training. Dara and Osoric had explained that there were no hard feelings, that each year this happened when trainees found out what their life was really like, that it was perfectly acceptable. Still, Asmeen felt uncomfortable hearing it. After so long training and working so hard, to just drop out didn't seem right.

Second, her relationship with Aven had much improved. They still argued, but this time it was only friendly insults and banter. The other pairs much appreciated it, according to Wylla.

And third—Wylla, it seemed, had done some advertising during the ball. On Asmeen's behalf. Apparently she'd spread word to everyone that Asmeen had made her gown, Elyn's gown, Asmeen's own gown, and, most impressively—Nara's.

Due to this, Asmeen was getting bombarded with inquiries from women of all ages—from literal children to fully grown, sometimes married ladies, for gowns, as well as men. She'd had to tell them all that she'd only consider it after training was over, disappointing quite a number of people.

She couldn't really be angry at Wylla, though. Her sister had done what she thought was right. It would definitely help her earn quite a lot of money, something Elyn had pointed out. All in all, she'd just tried to help.

So the overall mood of the trainees was much improved after the ball. Everyone, including her, seemed much more motivated to get in, and less tired. While that was nice, it did make things a bit harder for her, individually.

Training had only resumed in intensity since the ball, all of them were soaked with sweat and smelling terrible—well, except Wylla, miraculously—as they returned home. Asmeen and Aven had taken to calling each other 'sweaty' the entire day of training. It had even spread to other pairs.

When they got home that day and Azol opened the door, their father was standing there as well.

Asmeen stopped at the doorstep, only moving when Wylla nudged her aside. She smoothed down her dress, coughing. "Good evening, father."

He didn't look happy. Had something happened? She exchanged a worried look with Wylla. Elyn was as stone-faced as ever.

"Has something happened?" Wylla asked carefully.

His lips pursed. So something had definitely happened. He turned to Azol, though. "Azol, do you mind telling the girls what you heard today?"

Azol, also, looked serious. Asmeen wasn't sure if it was whether he was truly angry or if he just wanted to go along with his husband. "Today, I was out in the market, and I heard that some truly lovely gowns had been made by—who?"

Oh, no.

"Asmeen Dasterian," he continued. "And that plenty of women were planning on asking her to make gowns for themselves as well."

"Father—" Asmeen began.

Her father held up a hand. "We've spoken about this, Asmeen. I don't approve of you sewing. It is not an occupation fit for my daughter."

No one else Asmeen talked to seemed to think this way. And besides, she was sure that she'd earn more with her sewing than he was doing with his failing trade currently.

Some of this must have shown on her face, because his expression darkened. "On top of what happened recently—" At this, he shot Wylla a pointed look— "You've decided to break my rules again."

"We were about to lift your punishment," Azol said, his eyes still fixed on her. "And this happened."

Asmeen swallowed. "I—father, I had to." She glanced at the twins.