Chapter 29

AFTER that, Asmeen completely avoided her parents. It didn't take much, as most of her time was spent in training. She only slept in their house, really.

It was the fourth-last day. Honestly, only four more days to go. Dara and Osoric weren't going easy on them at all—Asmeen wasn't sure whether they meant for them all to be worn out before the final day. It certainly seemed like that.

Elyn had taken to mothering her and Wylla, in a very strange turn of events. She reminded them to drink water all day long, made sure they ate enough—she'd really become like Wylla, minus the cheeriness, now that Wylla was getting even more tired. It wasn't often Asmeen could see the resemblance between the twins, but now she did.

Asmeen could barely sleep, even though she knew that getting enough sleep was especially important now. In seventy-two hours, they'd be doing the final challenge. In ninety-six, she'd either be a Flower Child or she wouldn't. She felt butterflies in her stomach every time she looked at Dara. She tried not to look at Aven.

Today was a strength challenge. It was, again, a partner event, and Asmeen would be lying to say she wasn't frustrated with Aven at times, or that he wasn't at her. There was a lot—too much, Asmeen would say—of running. She hadn't realized she had that much stamina, even though she'd trained hard for the strength round this time.

She hoped the next few days wouldn't involve strength challenges as well, because they knew for sure by now that the last day involved one. Some other trainees had confirmed, with Flower Children and Children of the Night that they knew, that the original rumor of a combination of all their challenges was in fact true.

So, that was great. Asmeen...she just wanted it to be over with. But the day seemed to crawl by. Especially since it was a strength challenge that day, it felt like it would never end. Asmeen was in so much pain by the time the sun had set she just laid down on the grass and breathed.

All around, she could see other trainees just sitting down, or gulping down water. Aven was sitting a bit away, his eyes closed. Asmeen closed her own eyes, letting the cold air wash over her. At least because they'd run so much, they didn't feel too cold. Now, though, her body was rapidly cooling as the wind hit her sweat. Even her dress was soaked.

"Get up."

Asmeen opened her eyes to see Elyn standing over her, coated in sweat as well, but stone-faced. Wylla was sitting behind her.

She groaned.

"Get up," Elyn repeated. "We have to get home. It's dark, and I'd like to go to bed."

"Only three days left," Wylla murmured, gazing at the stars above. She was clearly in her own world.

Asmeen sighed and heaved herself up into a sitting position. "No one else is going home. We won't get into trouble if there are still trainees outside."

"I'd rather not find out," Elyn said plainly. "Get up."

Asmeen pushed herself upright as Elyn turned to Wylla, ordering her to do the same. Wylla did, looking more exhausted than Asmeen had ever seen her. She supposed all of them looked the same way. At least there were only three days left.

Bjóll, there were only three days left.

The words kept repeating in her mind as the three of them began walking towards their house. There were only two days left. Asmeen didn't think she'd be able to sleep. She'd barely eaten today, even with Elyn's scolding during their afternoon and evening breaks for meals.

Elyn opened the door, and they walked in silently. Thankfully, this time neither of their parents was there. Asmeen wasn't sure she'd have been able to handle if they had.