Chapter 2

TAUL Dasterian stared at them. Asmeen could see the exact moment he realized what Wylla had said. His eyes flew to her then, wide and shocked.

She offered him an unsure smile. "I did as well."

His lips parted. "Is this a trick? Because, Asmeen, I assure you that if it's something like—"

"It's not!" Asmeen exclaimed, shaking her head frantically. "Truly, I passed. I'm in the final round of training for the Flower Children. I swear on Bjóll!"

Then, finally, she saw what she'd wanted to see for five years. Her father smiled. He smiled and walked forward, reaching out.

Asmeen fell into his embrace willingly, not able to remember the last time he'd hugged her like this. Still, her father was warm and familiar.

He pulled back quickly, his palms gripping her shoulders tightly. "Good girl. Now, make sure you work hard to pass this round as well. All of you," he said, glancing at the twins as well.

"Yes, Father," Wylla said, nodding softly.

"I'm tired," Elyn said, despite not looking so at all. "It's been a long day. We should go up to rest."

"Yes, of course." Her father let go of her, glancing at Azol, and Asmeen took it as her cue to follow her sisters up the creaky stairs to their room.

She collapsed on their bed as soon as she walked in, Wylla landing right beside her. Their mattress was hard, but she it had never mattered as little as it did now. They watched Elyn take off her shawl and fold it carefully.

"Well," Wylla said, palpable relief in her voice. "We made it. All of us."

"Indeed," Elyn said drily, putting the shawl in their shared cupboard. She began loosening the laces on the back of her dress, throwing them a glance. "You should get changed. Those are only meant to be worn outside."

"Oh, come on, El," Wylla said, sitting up. "Let us celebrate!"

Asmeen grinned at her tone.

"It's practically a miracle that we made it, all three of us, at this age!" Wylla said, her eyebrows rising. She glanced at Asmeen. "Right?"

"Definitely," Asmeen agreed, yawning. Now that she was on the bed, tiredness was creeping over her.

Elyn gave them both a disapproving look, now only in her shift, pulling out one of their more worn dresses. "The longer you wear those, the dirtier they will get."

Wylla rolled her eyes. "Nonsense, El. We're just laying down."

Asmeen snorted at Elyn's glare. "Elyn, I haven't seen you so much as smile yet."

"And you won't," Elyn said, pulling the dress over her head. When she looked at them, her golden hair was messy, catching the light from the window. "Don't forget, we still have the last round to go. It's the hardest."

"We'll worry about that tomorrow," Wylla said, flopping back down onto the bed. "We shouldn't have to worry today."

"Are you going to work?" Asmeen asked, seeing Elyn tie on her white apron.

Wylla sat up again. "You know there'll be a crowd in the bakery today, right? If you go, people will come to see you, to talk to you..."

Elyn gave them a significant look. "Exactly. More business." She turned to the mirror and began doing her hair again, completely ignoring their incredulous looks.

"Ridiculous," Wylla muttered, laying down again. "It's not like we need the money."

Elyn gave her a sharp look in the mirror, and Asmeen winced. Elyn had always refused to answer why she worked, even though they had more than enough to live.

"I suppose that leaves the two of us to celebrate, then," Wylla said, turning her head to look at Asmeen. "Want to steal one of Papa's bottles of wine tonight?"

Asmeen's head snapped to her, eyes wide. "Wylla! We're not of age yet."

"Oh, so what?" Wylla said, rolling onto her front. "The two of us will celebrate our twentieth in a week, and you will in only a few months. What do you think, El?" She glanced at Elyn, who had just finished pinning her hair up.

"I'm thinking that I will stay far away from whatever mischief the two of you will undoubtedly get up to tonight," Elyn said drily, grabbing her satchel from the chair. "As long as I get my sleep, I don't much care about whatever it is that you choose to do." She inclined her head at them and walked out the door. They could hear her footsteps going down the stairs.

"Good," Wylla said decisively. "The two of us will do something, then."

Asmeen let out a sigh, half-laughing. "I'll leave you to plan, then. I'm going to rest."

"Alright," Wylla said, rolling off of the bed and landing softly on her feet. "I'll leave you here, then." She smiled and walked out, shutting the door softly behind herself.

Asmeen pulled off her dress and threw it onto the chair, grinning when it landed right. She pulled the soft blanket over herself and turned to her side, shutting her eyes tightly.

She really was tired. But, for some reason, she couldn't quite sleep.

After five years, she'd finally made it into the final round, in her fifth year of trying. She'd wanted to be a part of the Flower Children, worshippers and protectors of Bjóll, god of the land. Her mother had been their leader, years ago, just like Dara Segast. But after her mother's passing...the least she could do was make it.

But Elyn was right. There was still the final round, the most difficult yet. She'd be paired with another—but someone who wished to be part of the Children of the Night, who worshipped Lelitë, goddess of the sky. They'd go through a series of tests together.

In the end, only one of them would get chosen.

Asmeen sighed, turning to her other side. She could only hope that whoever she'd be paired with wouldn't be vindictive, or try to sabotage her. Even though they were competitors, they'd also be a team, and they'd have to be civil to each other. Who would she be paired with?

Well, she supposed she'd soon find out.

Yay, chapter two! I hope some things are clearer

Yay, chapter two! I hope some things are clearer. Do you like the sisters? I wonder which one will become your favorite. I certainly know which one mine is.

We'll be meeting a new character next chapter, and then I believe only a while more till we meet Asmeen's partner ;) Are you excited?

See you next chapter!