Chapter 14

THE next day passed with more boredom.

Elyn and Wylla had gotten her more thread and some paints, not that Asmeen was any kind of an artist. It turned out that Aven was—he had to know some painting for the more elaborate rituals of the Children of the Night—so she happily bequeathed her paints to him, and he spent the day creating colorful doodles. They weren't particularly good, but they helped both him and her pass the time. Watching Aven paint was rather fascinating.

In the evening, after dinner, Wylla and Elyn visited her again. This time, Dara and Osoric had accompanied them.

Asmeen turned away from Aven to face the leaders, keeping her back as straight as possible, despite the fact that her entire body was aching due to her cycle having started only in the morning.

Dara and Osoric spoke to the main healer in low tones while Wylla and Elyn hurried over to her.

"How are you doing today?" Wylla asked.

"Horrible," Asmeen moaned.

"Her cycle started, so she's in a lot of pain," Aven added helpfully.

"Oh, dear," Wylla said, looking at her sympathetically. "You must be feeling even worse."

"I am," Asmeen said, still groaning.

"Well," Wylla said, her eyes beginning to sparkle. "I brought you something else today." She gave Asmeen a truly terrible wink, clearly referring to another sweet treat, and Asmeen's mood was temporarily lifted.

"Everyone!" Dara said. All the trainees turned to face her. "Half of you will be going home today. Except Asmeen, Aven, Saira and Suri." She glanced at the healer, as if in confirmation, and the healer nodded.

Asmeen exchanged miserable looks with the other two girls who'd been made to stay.

"Your families have come to pick you up," Osoric said. "If anyone starts feeling sick, or is in some sort of pain, please come back to the infirmary immediately."

"The rest of you," Dara said, locking eyes with each of them, "Focus on your recovery. We hope you'll all heal soon."

The two of them left, most of the crowd leaving behind them. Soon, only the four trainees and their visitors were left in the room.

"Can I have it?" Asmeen asked, when the room was mostly silent again.

"Right," Wylla said, opening her fist and giving Asmeen another sweet cake. She tore out half and gave it to Aven, who began stuffing it into his mouth immediately. Asmeen did the same.

"And how are you today, Aven?" Wylla asked.

"Getting better, I think. I hope," Aven said, shrugging. "Not much to do here. Thank you for the paints, by the way."

Wylla's eyes fell to the stack of paintings on Aven's bedside. "Oh, you used those?"

"I told you Asmeen wouldn't," Elyn grumbled. She looked at Asmeen. "She just wanted to bring you something because I did yesterday."

Asmeen laughed. That was to be expected of Wylla.

"Papa."

It had been Aven who said the word, his eyes fixed on a rapidly approaching man, tall and broad, and whose features were almost too similar to Aven's.

"Aven!" Aven's father grinned, his arms opening wide.

Aven fell into his father's embrace. Asmeen hadn't thought anyone could make Aven seem small, but his father did a brilliant job of it.

Aven's father finally drew back. "I'm sorry I couldn't come yesterday. Work held me up late." He glanced over at Asmeen's bed, probably disconcerted by the three girls staring at him. Well, two. Elyn wasn't particularly interested.

"That's my partner," Aven said, gesturing at her, "And her sisters. Asmeen, Wylla, and Elyn."

"Ah," his father said, a knowing look entering his eyes, and Asmeen tried not to blush. Had Aven told his father about her? If so, what? Two days ago, their relationship hadn't exactly been the best.

"We're friends right now," Aven said, grinning at her.

So he'd definitely told his father something, then. Wonderful.

"That's...good," Aven's father said, looking somewhat at a loss as to how to respond. Then he seemed to recollect himself and nodded at them. "I am Lin Hilfen."

"It's nice to meet you," Asmeen said, hoping her face wasn't red.

He nodded again. "I've heard much about you."

Bjóll, how awkward was this? Surely he hadn't heard anything good about her. From Aven's sheepish grin, he seemed to be thinking the same thing.

Aven broke the silence. "So, Papa, how are things at home?"

Asmeen took the opportunity to turn back to her own sisters, tuning out their conversation.

"That was...something," Elyn murmured, her voice low enough that hopefully Aven and his father wouldn't hear.

Asmeen blew out a long breath, nodding.

"When do you think you'll be able to come home?" Wylla asked, looking at her in concern.

Asmeen shrugged. "I don't know. I've always gotten sick easily, and it doesn't seem like I'll get better in a day or two. Is father worried?"

"He's father," Elyn said, as if that in itself was an answer.

"He wants you to get better soon," Wylla elaborated. "Also, he's going on a trip tomorrow. You won't be able to see him off. He came in the morning to see you, when you were asleep, by the way."

Asmeen sighed. "Tell him thank you, from me. And I can't believe I forgot about his trip." Asmeen's father, a merchant, was constantly going on trips to other towns. Usually she saw him off, but it seemed like she wouldn't be able to this time.

"He won't be able to come in the morning tomorrow," Elyn said, her lips tight. "He just said to tell you to focus on recovering."

Asmeen nodded. "Tell him I say goodbye. And I hope he has safe travels."

"We will," Wylla said. "But it's getting late, we should be leaving. Goodnight, Asmeen. I want to give you a hug, but—"

"Don't risk it." Asmeen nodded. "Goodnight."

She watched the twins leave. In a few moments, Aven's father left as well, giving her a polite smile on the way out. As soon as he left, she turned to Aven with narrowed eyes.

Aven bit his lip, clearly trying not to smile. "So, maybe, he hasn't heard the best things about you. I promise, I will rectify this error."

"You'd better," Asmeen threatened.

Aven saluted at her, chuckling, and Asmeen rolled her eyes.

Hopefully they wouldn't stay sick for much longer.

See you next chapter!