"Then?"

"It's Ethan." My heart broke a little at the mention of his name. She bit down on her lip. "And he's still outside... He wants to see you. Is that okay?"

Would that ever be okay? Him and I seeing each other — speaking or even breathing next to each other. Would it be okay?

My gaze remained down as I fumbled with the beige paw. "Hazel, he was seriously worried about you. More like went crazy when you were getting oxygen. It wouldn't be so bad if you let him know you're okay. I mean I could talk to him but — he wants to hear it from you."

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes for a second. I honestly was tired of this — of all the conflictual emotions storming inside me and all the deceitful what-ifs I began to hate. And I didn't know for how long everything will last until we finally explode.

"But if it's too much, I can let him know. I think he will... Understand." Said Reem.

"No, it's fine. Just let him in."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Alright, great." She did a mini-clap and headed to the door. "I'll be right outside if you need anything."

I nodded and shot her a smile.

Was I ready to see Ethan? No. Did I want to? Yes.

This could practically go wrong in so many ways. I didn't know how to be in the same room as him without upsetting or avoiding him. I didn't enjoy this one bit but it was just something out of my control. Every time I looked into his eyes, I recalled that day and how I felt. For some reason, I just couldn't forget.

I wish I could though.

I wish it didn't have to be this complicated.

I got a quick thumbs-up from Reem before I entered the room

I got a quick thumbs-up from Reem before I entered the room. I'd put the outfits' bags in the corner and placed the bouquet on her lap. "How are you feeling?"

The moment she batted her eyelashes at me, my heart shattered again. She was beautiful — always that fucking beautiful even at her worst. I calmly studied her demeanor and admired the hair that I have come to adore more every single time. It was a little wet from the lower locks but dry mostly.

"Better, thanks for the flowers." I knew she meant it but her voice was distant. Heartbreakingly so. The guilt was still there though, the last thing she did after passing out was; crying. And who earned the absolute honor? Yours truly.

"Hazel, I am so sorry for—"

"Let's not go down that road again, Ethan. I told you we have nothing to talk about."

"Can you please hear me out for a second? Reem told me you were crying when she called and—"

"Yeah, so what?"