Chapter 10

While Anya did Lady Theresa's hair, Lady Daphne buzzed around the room talking constantly.

Anya watched her out of the corner of her eye. Lady Daphne seemed every bit a lady, from the tip of the elegant hairstyle to her delicate form. If Anya did not know better, she would never imagine the lady in question to be capable of killing someone.

But she was and she had, if Thorne was to be believed. It was surprising that the lady was even capable of wielding a bow.  However, Lady Daphne's arms were surprisingly muscular for the life of a pampered noble, likely from practicing archery. It seemed an unlikely skill for such a lady to have.

Lady Daphne was talking. "So, after your wedding, Thomas and I are going to move to my estates for a time. We feel it is time to pay attention to them. It'll be nice to be by ourselves as well."

"Aren't you enjoying your time at Harding?"

"Of course I am. Everyone is so nice. But it's not the same. I mean, there we are just the son of the Lord and his wife. His father and mother run everything."

Lady Theresa's voice was slightly chiding, "Which is how it should be."

"Oh, I know. I simply adore Lord Harding. He's quite funny and entertaining. The stories he tells! And Lady Harding is nice too, of course," Lady Daphne said quickly.

Lady Theresa smiled sympathetically. "Trouble with the mother-in-law?"

Lady Daphne shook her head quickly. "No, of course not. Lady Harding really is nice to me. It's not the same though. It's like there is no place there for us to belong. It will be nice to reside at Tyndale and be a baroness in my own right. You're lucky that you don't have in-laws you'll have to deal with."

Anya saw Lady Theresa roll her eyes at her sister's thoughtless comment.

Lady Daphne must have realized what she said, because she continued, "Not that I want them dead! I didn't mean that! I just—"

"I understand what you meant," Lady Theresa said, forestalling what likely would have been a long and rambling explanation.

Anya put the finishing touches on Lady Theresa's hair. "All done," she announced.

"Oh, Theresa! You look lovely! Now let's go see that dress!"

There was a knock on the door. Hanna scrambled over and opened it.

"Is my wife here?" Anya heard a man ask.

"Sir Thomas!" Daphne squealed as she scurried over to the man who had stepped into the room.

"Am I interrupting?" he asked. Anya looked at the one who had shot the other arrow into Gage's back.

To Anya's jaundiced eye, Sir Thomas looked ineffectual. He was perhaps only a bit more attractive than average, and he had a weak chin in Anya's opinion. His clothing was impeccably neat and he looked like a dandy.

Lady Theresa spoke up, "Not at all. We were just having our hair done."

"You two both look lovely," he said gallantly, looking down at his wife beside him. Anya eyed the pair. They looked absurdly cute together, but certainly not like a team that could kill her older brother.

Gage had been strong and rugged. They looked pathetically soft. Perhaps Thorne really had lied to her, trying to bend her to his will. She would not put it past him to use lies to try to manipulate her feelings.

Sir Thomas suddenly looked directly at Anya. "You're a wizardress?" he asked suddenly.

"Yes," she said and she supposed that it was technically true now.