Chapter 4

Anya spent the next day hovering between wishing that the unknown trouble would come if it was going to come, and wishing that it never would.  The best thing that could be said for her state of limbo was that it was mercifully short.

It was twilight, and the forest was shrouded in darkness.  The twins were ready for bed and only a lone candle burned on the table.

A loud knock sounded on the door.  Anya jumped at the sudden sound; her heart beating recklessly against her ribs.

The knocking came again.  Kallie looked worried.  "What is it?" she asked.

Anya hoped that she was being paranoid but she had a terrible premonition as all Gage's ramblings came back to her.

She put a finger to her lips.  "You two must sneak out the back and hide in the forest.  Take Sabin with you," she commanded.  "I will come and find you when I have sent this person away.  Do not come back before that."

Damani looked as if he would argue, but she silenced him with a look.  "You are to look after your sister and Sabin, Damani.  That is your task."

"I wish to look after you as well," he said with a frown.

"Me too," agreed Kallie.

Anya could feel tears welling up in her eyes.  "You do not have to worry for me.  I am a witch," she said firmly.

The knocking sounded again, and Anya gave them a small push.  "Now go."  They obeyed, taking Sabin with them.  Even the bird gave her an unhappy look, but he obviously understood the need for silence.

Anya fingered a couple of small vials of potion in her apron pocket.  She hoped there would be no need to use them.  She straightened her back and opened the door.

A man stood before her, dressed completely in black.  He was tall and lean, and she could sense a power about him, and there was nothing to suggest that it was not sinister in nature.  His eyes were light, and looked like chips of blue ice.  They were cold.

"Anya Davies?" he asked.

She felt like nothing more than denying her identity, but instead she squared her shoulders and said, "I am Anya Davies.  And you are?"

"You may call me Thorne," he said simply.  "May I come in and speak with you."  It was not a request.

She nodded, and allowed him in, glad that she had sent the twins out of the house.

"Would you like something to drink?" she offered, out of a sort of automatic politeness.

"No, thank you.  Please, have a seat."  Anya did as he ordered, for it was clearly an order.  She had little doubt that she was in the presence of a man who would do exactly as he saw fit and expected others to do the same.  She doubted that he was particularly constrained by such matters as ethics or conscience, either.

He sat down on the opposite side of the table.

"Anya.  May I call you Anya?"

She shrugged.  If it was the worst thing he did she would come out of the night very well indeed.  She was not sure why he was bothering with the pleasantries.  His voice sounded empty as if he were completely devoid of true feelings.

"Anya.  Let me offer my condolences on the death of your brother."

"Thank you.  It is a great loss." she said stiffly.

He nodded.  "His death is a great loss to me as well.  I am sorry to interrupt your grieving, but there are matters of business that have been left... incomplete."