Chapter 35

Around the wall that Anya had only been able to hear was a larger chamber with a heavy table and chairs. There were other cells that had been out of sight where Anya had been placed. Sir Thomas opened a large wooden door on the opposite side. Anya followed him through it.

Anya was led up a circular staircase and into the halls that were familiar to her. There were several servants as they passed. Anya kept her head up, but did not look at them. She probably did not even know who they were. But they knew who she was. She could feel their eyes burning upon her as she followed her captors.

The trip across the castle seemed many times as long as it had in the past. Anya could feel her face burning but she pretended not to know. Finally they reached the destination that Anya had suspected all along.

Sir Thomas opened the heavy door to the wizard's tower, and Anya obediently followed him up the winding staircase. Anya tried not to think about the other time that she had climbed these stairs. Jim followed her, and Samson waited at the bottom.

The door at the top of the stairs opened, and Anya was in Lord Wildwood's study. There were book covered shelves surrounding the room, and a heavy desk dominated one side. Behind the desk sat Lord Wildwood. Lady Theresa sat beside him. The expression in her brilliant eyes looked so angry and hot that Anya could almost feel the burn. On the other side of Lady Theresa sat Lady Daphne. Her expression was not as enraged as her sister, but her eyes looked cautious and there was a bow and quiver leaning beside her chair. Anya felt odd that anyone felt such a measure was necessary with her.

Of course, she had tried to murder someone. Perhaps it was not so odd as it felt.

Sir Thomas gestured for Anya to sit down in a chair in front of the desk. Anya took the seat indicated and Sir Thomas went and sat in another chair beside his wife.

Jim was behind Anya but she did not dare look back at him to see what he was doing. If she looked at him he might think that she was hoping for support. She knew better than to ask because she did not deserve such a boon and she did not want him to think that she was trying to get anything from him. He had already been too good to her.

"Miss Smyth," began Lord Wildwood.

Sir Thomas broke in. "Her true name is Miss Davies," he corrected.

Lord Wildwood nodded but did not look surprised. "Miss Davies. I have had Sir Thomas and the Wizard Jim bring you up here because this very room is the most secure in my castle. It was more secure in the past, but my magic is returning slower than I might appreciate. However, the Wizard Jim is supporting shields that will ensure our confidentiality and I am also doing what I can. The Wizard Jim has told me of your conversation and explained much of what you said to him."

Anya nodded.

"I have several questions. First of all, why did you decide to finally speak of everything?"

Anya swallowed. "I'm so tired of it all. I just want my brother and sister safe, my lord. I finally realize that I can't do it alone. And I can't trust him to keep his word."

Lord Wildwood inclined his head. "Him meaning Lord Reaumur?"

"I don't like to say his name," Anya said with a quiver in her voice.

"When were you first given your orders to kill me?" Lord Wildwood asked.

"About a week before I came to Wildwood."

"And you are indeed a witch?"

"Yes." Anya nodded.

"When did you first practice witchery?" Lord Wildwood was watching her closely.