day 22- joyrides

"Psst!"

Marinette rolled over and groaned, pulling her pillow over her ears.

"Psst! Marinette!"

She removed the pillow, glaring. "What, Jason? It's too early for this."

Jason grinned. "It's April first."

"So?"

"Does April Fool's Day ring a bell?"

Marinette frowns. "You Americans and your weird customs. What do you want to do, then?"

Jason smirks. "Have you ever wanted to drive the Batmobile?"

.o0o.

"Okay. Here's the plan. I've got Oracle covering our back, since she also wants to see B's face when he realizes we've taken his car. O's going to film his reaction, as well as temporarily lock him out of the overrides built into the Batcomputer so he can't eject us or do something else."

"Bruce is always in the kitchen from 7 to 7:45. That's when we make our move. We go to the Cave, disable the tasers on B's utility belt, take the keys to the Batmobile, and run. By the time everyone realizes that we are most definitely having sex in one of our rooms, we'll already be off."

Marinette nods. "Sounds good to me. Any specific driving route?"

"Wherever you want." Jason checks his watch. "It's 6:58. Get ready."

.o0o.

Marinette watches through one of Oracle's tiny drones as Bruce enters the kitchen at precisely seven. "Bats' in the kitchen. You're clear to go."

"Copy that." Jason says over the comm. "I'm in the Cave. You can join now."

Marinette disables the drone and silently slips away into the Cave. She walks over to Jason, who's tinkering with Batman's utility belt.

"And... done." Jason opens a pouch and takes out a set of keys. He presses a button, and the Batmobile starts up. "Let's go."

Marinette climbs into the driver's seat, feeling nervous as she sees all the buttons on the interior. Jason sits down next to her and shuts the door. She slams down on the gas, and they're off.

The Batmobile speeds through the streets of Gotham City, its soundproofing technology muffling the whoops and shrieks of near-misses from the world. About fifteen minutes into their ride, they get an incoming call from Bruce.

"Merde. What do we do?" Marinette panics. Jason just shrugs, and hits Accept.

"Jason. Marinette." Bruce's disapproving face fills the screen. "You took the Batmobile for a joyride."

Jason grins. "Happy April Fool's Day?"

Bruce grunts. "Just- don't scratch the paint." He hangs up, and they stare at each other disbelievingly.

Marinette speaks first. "Did- did he just let us drive the Batmobile?"

"What the fuck?" The car gets a call from Damian, and Marinette shrieks as she swerves to avoid a bus. Jason accepts the call again.

"Marinette. Todd. You stole Father's car." Damian states, a scowl fixed on his face as usual.

Marinette shrugs. "I've always wanted to drive this thing."

"I demand that you take me along next time."

Well that was unexpected. Jason smirks. "If you don't stab anybody for a month, then sure."

Damian scowls. "Deal." He hangs up.

The display starts ringing, this time with Tim's name. Marinette sighs. "Seriously?"

"You stole the keys to the Batmobile? For April Fool's Day?"

Jason rolls his eyes. "Yes, we did. Pass the word along." He smashed the end call button.

Marinette switches the car to autopilot mode, and sets course back to the Batcave. "That was really fun and all, but I'm hungry."

The car displays a call from Cass, and Jason moves to hang up, but Marinette hits Accept instead. "She's scary."

Cass' smiling face fills the screen as she signs "Good job. Take me with you?"

"We already have Damian waiting, Cass. How many seats do you think this thing has?" Jason drums his fingers on the dashboard.

"Take me with you?" Cass gives them the puppy eyes, and they relent.

"Of course, Cass. I'm going to hang up, we're pulling into the Cave." Marinette says before ending the call.

They step out of the Batmobile with elated smiles, only to face Alfred's disappointed face.

"Master Jason, Miss Marinette, I am afraid that taking the Batmobile for joyrides is strictly forbidden and will result in a month of extra chores, which include repairing your own suits and washing everyone's clothing."