52. Kind of a party

En başından başla

"Love you too." I end the call and exhale deeply. This'll be an interesting family reunion... 

I put it to the back of my mind and head out of my apartment to go to Jamie's. When I get there, I'm pretty stunned to see far more than a 'few' people. His entire apartment is almost full, with beer everywhere and music playing. This is a party. I wind my way through the crowd, trying to track down Jamie. He's in the kitchen, talking to a couple of guys I've never seen before and drinking a beer. I nervously clear my throat. "Hey, Jamie--" He snaps his eyes over to me and grins, throwing his arms out. 

"Meggy! Hey!" Drunk. He stumbles over to me and drops an arm around me. 

"Dude, th-this is waaayyy mmmore than a f-few people." 

"I knooooow. Shit. I'm so sorry. Literally, I did only invite a few people. But then they invited a few of their friends, and then those people invited a few of their friends, and, welp! Here we are. And I've had quiiiiite a bit to drink." I laugh softly. 

"I can tell." 

"You should drink too. You worry less when you're drunk." 

"I can't. I d-drove here." He shrugs. 

"You can crash here overnight. Or get loverboy to pick you up." I smile and roll my eyes, nudging him lightly. 

"Careful w-what comes outta th-that mouth." 

"Yes, yes, I know. Even drunk, I am a very good secret keeper. You got nuffin' to worry about. But you should drink." 

"I don't know..." 

"Trust me." He slurs, patting my back, before someone yells his name and he yells back, stumbling over to them. I take a deep breath. Gosh. So many drunk people. Jamie is right. I do worry less when I drink. 

My phone buzzes. I fish it out of my pocket and read the text off Chris. 

From: Chris 
Have fun tonight, sweetheart. Say hi to Jamie for me :) xxx

I smile a little, typing out a reply. 

To: Chris 
There's quite a few people here. It's kind of a party. Jamie is very drunk 😂 I might end up ducking out early :/ xxx

From: Chris 
You should have a few. Let loose ;) xxx

To: Chris 
I'm driving :/ Jamie said I could crash here though, but I don't know... I don't know anyone here xxx

From: Chris 
Well, it's completely up to you. I could always come and pick you up if you don't want to stay over? Xxx

To: Chris 
Really? You'd do that for me? Xxx

From: Chris 
Of course I would :). Like I said, it's completely up to you. But if you would like to drink, I'd be more than happy to come and pick you up xxx

"Hey, Meg." I snap my eyes up. Zach. 

"Ah, hi Zach--" I utter, quickly locking my phone and putting it back in my pocket. He smiles and raises his eyebrows. 

"How you been? Long time no see." I laugh nervously. 

"Yeah, b-been awhile. It's been p-pretty b-busy at work." 

"Yeah, yeah, course." 

"How about you? How are y-you?" 

"I'm good, yeah! So how come you've not got a drink?"