xxiv

The next day

Today I felt like doing the last thing I ever wanted to do. Go out for a run. I plugged in my earphones and the playlist I made a few minutes ago started to play.

My legs were burning by the time I reached the third block and I was completely out of breath. There weren't much people walking around yet since it was almost five in the morning. I couldn't sleep at all so I decided to do something productive.

No matter how tired I was, it felt nice to be surrounded by the early darkness, the quiet houses and empty roads. This is something no one ever gets to see during the day. I know that now.

I start to run again, but in a slower pace while going through my playlist. Out of nowhere, I bump into someone and fall to the ground.

My phone slips from my hands, pulling my earphones out with it somewhere.

"Sorry!" I groan, holding the side of my head.

"No, no, I'm sorry. I wasn't looking." A female voice says, getting up and offering a hand for me.

I take it and come face to come with Ashton.

Correction: male voice. Sorry, Ash.

"Ash?" I widened my eyes, fixing my ponytail.

"Joey!" Ashton gave me a hug and I hugged him back.

"What are you doing so early in the morning?" I asked him. He was really sweaty and it even soaked up his entire top.

"I jog every morning. . .early morning." He smiled, wiping his forehead with the towel hanging on his shoulder.

I nodded, half smiling.

"So what are you doing? Jogging early in the morning?" He chuckled, hazel eyes meeting mine.

"I just felt like it." I shrugged.

"Oh, wait." He told me before bending down and picking something up. In his hand were my phone and earphones.

"Oh, thanks." I blushed, taking it from him.

He smiled in return and we began walking in the direction I was headed.

"Why are you really out?" Ashton asked curiously. "I mean, I remember you telling me before that you hated running."

I bit my lower lip before speaking, "I couldn't sleep."

"And you think running would make you tired?"

I nodded, smiling up at him. If he weren't so tall it wouldn't be so hard to look at him.

"Jordin, honey, running would make you hyper." Ashton imitated a lady, faking his accent.

"Wow, mother, I'm sorry." I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

He bursted into a fit of giggles and I laughed too. What we said weren't even funny, but it was past five in the morning so anything would be funny. Ashton's laugh or giggle was funny too.

Two sweaty people laughing early in the morning for no apparent reason.

"Want to get something to eat?" Ashton asks once we calmed down.

"Are there even any shops open at this time?" I knit my eyebrows together.

"There are a lot. Come on." He holds his hand out for me and I take it. Ashton starts running and I have no choice but to run as well. I start laughing at what we were doing and Ashton just looks back at me funny.

"I'm so tired!" I laughed, already breathless.

"Don't be a baby." He laughed and finally stopped running, me bumping his sweaty back with force.

"You okay?" He turned to me.

"I'm fine." I chuckled.

"You should run more often. You'll regret it when you're old and can't take a step."

"Whatever you say, dad." I rolled my eyes again.

He glares at me and looks behind him. A small pancake shop with neon blue lights shining "Alyssa's" illuminated its dark surroundings.

"Come on." Ashton calls from the entrance. I break out of my daze and walk inside. Enough running for the next few years.

The place was crap but the food was very good. Ashton told me that if I want to see the nicest view of the sunset in this neighborhood, it would be here at this time, at this seat. I watched in amazement at how beautiful it looked, it was like it lighted up the entire place.

"Its beautiful." I breathed.

"Yeah." Ashton agrees and I felt him looking at me.

In order to hide the blush on my face, I look down at my empty plate and as much as possible avoid his gaze. I feel Ashton lightly place his hand over mine and I look up at him. A small smile plays on his lips.

"Ash," I whisper, slowly taking my hand away. "I-I-"

"I understand, I just want you to know that I'll be here when you need someone."

I nodded, not knowing how to respond to that.

"Anyways, I gotta get home, mum might freak." Ashton chuckles, looking at the his wrist watch. The room is much brighter now that the sun is up.

"Yeah, me too." I agree and we both get up from our seats. He follows me out the door, the cold breeze making me shiver.

"I'll see you around." I say and start walking the opposite way, but Ashton grabbed my wrist.

"Joey," He starts. "Be careful, alright?"

"I will. You too, Ash."

He smiles and leans in to kiss my cheek, me blushing immediately.

He smiled again and waved his hand before running the opposite direction of mine.