Chapter 28 Doctor, I have a problem.

They made Deepak's office using the same cookie-cutter as mine. However, the similarities ended there. My office was empty, cold, and foreboding; Deepak's space felt "lived in". It contained pictures of family, potted plants, and other memorabilia. 

'Hello Captain, XO. What's the situation?' His voice showed the stress he was experiencing. 

'I am apologising in advance, lieutenant commander, because I've come to add more crap to your plate,' I said.

'What is it exactly? This load of crap?' He asked, face concerned.

'Your Captain may be "nuts" type of crap.' 

The lieutenant commander gave me a long stare. He then realised that the XO and I were still standing. 

'Sorry, I forgot my manners. Please sit.' He directed us to the chairs at the front of his desk and waited for us to sit.

'Now what do you mean, you are going nuts?'

'Well, there is an extra voice I share my consciousness with.'  

'What does the voice say?'

'Err, it depends on what I am thinking about.' My ears got hot, as if he caught me lying. I suppose I have been lying for my whole life, pretending to be normal. 'It's a nag. A persistent, annoying nag.'

'You can say that again.' Said Seki under her breath. I winced when she did so. 

Deepak glanced at Seki and asked, 'XO you speak like you heard the voice in the Captain's head personally?' It was her turn to blush after he caught her faint, audible musings.

'Your ears are amazing as ever,' I said, to redirect the conversation.

'They are not as sharp as they used to be.' His voice flat, his eyes serious. I have seen that expression before; It was his "I don't have time for any crap" look. 

Never seen you this humourless, ever.

 'Let's assume that I can,' Seki said and locked her eyes with his. 

'This is not the time for jokes, XO.' He said, his eyes deadly serious. I was watching a battle, not of wills, but of trust. All Seki asked our chief medical officer was to toss science out an airlock.

'This is not my funny face, Lt. Cmdr.' Her eyes locked with Deepak's. 'We are here to ensure the Captain and I are medically sound.'

It was interesting to see them spar though it was also uncomfortable to watch. I shifted in the chair in my discomfort. The chair sighed in response.

'Okay, the mental health of the two most senior officers on the ship must be above question,' Deepak concluded as he broke eye contact with Seki. 

'Alice,' Deepak called. Alice shimmered into our shared view, dressed in scrubs.

'Yes, Dr Mohan?' 

'Prepare surgical rooms 35 A and B for neurological examinations, please.' He said and returned to work.

Alice's light show changed, indicating she was processing his request. 

'Surgical Room thirty-five A is ready for neurological examinations,' Alice said two minutes later.

'Thank you, Alice,' he said without looking up.

'Is there anything else you need, Dr Mohan?' 

He glanced at Alice. 'No, Alice, that is all. Thank you.' And returned to his desk display.

'Captain, XO,' she said as she acknowledged both of us and faded out of view.

Well, that's new.

'I never saw her attired like that either,' Seki echoed my thought.

'Oh. That? Alice asked if she could wear scrubs when performing medical duties. I did not see how it would hurt, so I told her she could.'

'The staff have been quite positive about her appearance.' He trailed as he returned to the work on his desk. 

His incredible focus was something I envied. The XO and I waited while Deepak worked. This lasted for a minute, and he stopped mid-fiddle. 

He looked at me and said, 'The XO commented on something you said. However, you didn't speak?' I nodded yes.

'Oh.' He said and without a beat went back to work absent further comment. 

He must think we're spacewalking without a vac skin. I glared at Seki as the thought slingshot across my mind. She got my orbital track and said nothing.

We sat in silence while Deepak continued his work. 

'There is nothing in either of your medical records to suggest any brain abnormalities.' 

Deepak sighed at me and said. 'Your medical history is blank from the age of five on back.'

'It is a void period in my mind too,' I said, humourless. 'I haven't any memories prior to Admiral Craskell adopting me.' Seki and Deepak both gave me apologetic looks. I felt naked with the admission, even though I was with trusted comrades. A heavy silence hung for what felt like hours. It was XO who finally shattered the void.

'So, Doctor, what's next?'

'Right, I need another physician's aid with your medical history and examination.' The XO developed an uncomfortable look.

'Who?' I asked.

'Dr Figueroa. She is our neurologist and has a black hole's discretion.' 

'How long until she gets acquainted with the situation?' Seki asked. 

'Not long, she's quite competent,' he said and called Dr Figueroa. She answered his hail immediately.

'Have a matter that requires your utmost discretion. I will forward you the notes now. Good. Prep surgical unit B for a full neurological scan.'

'Thanks, Cassandra.' He said and returned to his notes. Another few minutes passed in silence. The wait was excruciating for me. From the look on Seki's, it was excruciating for her too. 

The sudden need to reawaken the crew in stasis had doubled his workload, and I was adding more, so I could wait as he prepared. 

He glanced up and started to speak. However, before he could, his desk chimed.

'Yes?' He asked.

'I am at surgical unit 43 B ready and awaiting the patient,' said a voice emanating from the desktop. It belonged to Dr Figueroa.

'Thank you, Dr the XO will be across shortly.' 

'Understood.' she said and ended the call. 

Deepak looked at Seki. 'Dr Figueroa is ready for you.' Seki, flabbergasted, was speechless.

'Efficient as ever.' I said with a snicker, attempting to diffuse the mood. Seki appeared ready for war. She is in the right, as he planned a procedure and a switch in physicians without informing or asking for her consent. 

Informed consent is a bedrock tenet of patient, doctor relationship. That Deepak blew past it is an indicator of the stress he was under.

'XO.' I called. She turned her daggers to me. 'We need to get this done.' Her face softened as she pondered the situation.

'Sorry.' She said, apologising.

'No, it is I who should apologise,' Deepak said.

'Right now, time is our most precious resource. Your error doctor pales compared to chaos before us.' Both Seki and Deepak nodded their agreement.

'So, let's get this done.'

'Okay, I'm off to have my head poked.' Seki said and stood. 'Captain, doctor, excuse me.' She saluted, we stood and returned her salute. I opened the door for her to exit.

I glanced at Deepak and asked. 'We should get moving too?'

'I agree,' he said, and we exited his office for surgical unit A.