Chapter 22 Staff meeting part two.

I stepped into the ready room and made space for Alice and Seki's entrance. Dr Enstad was in a Q&A with the officers already present. The meeting seems to have started without me. It made me happy that they started in my absence because it meant if  got I sucked out an airlock, the ship's management was secure in their competent hands.

I called up my visual to check the time. It was zero five hundred and forty-seven hours and there was still time before the meeting's official start. I gained nothing from interrupting Dr Enstad, so I stood and listened. 

Seki arrived at her seat. She gave me a quizzical expression when she realized I remained standing. I gave her a nod and a smile. The XO, intuitive as ever, understood my message, and she sat.

Alice, who stood behind Seki, tilted her head as she observed me. She smiled at me and I returned her smile. I nodded towards the table. Alice took my hint and redirected her attention there.

I attempted to listen to the discussion, but it was a rehash of Seki's and my earlier discoveries. My eyes wandered the room and its current inhabitants. The officers were all crosshair focused on the professor's explanations. 

I felt guilty that I lacked the focus to do the same. I tried to review what I had typed earlier, and could not. 

Dammit. I was getting frustrated, so I gave up. Instead, I scanned the table but my mind was on holiday. Eventually, they ended their wandering on Seki, then on Alice, who was standing behind her. 

A singularity of recognition formed in my mind.

[You know, those two kind of resemble.] Bob said and beat me to the realization. I looked the pair over several times. 

Yes, they do. I agreed. There were obvious differences. However, Alice has a striking resemblance to Seki of twenty years ago.

As the thought crossed my mind, Seki glared at me. She turned, looked at Alice and then at me, her eyes saucers. 

 It is probably a coincidence, Seki. She gave me her, "hold up, I'm thinking" look.

[What are you doing?]

Sh. I admonished him.

Even if she did. It is one hell of a compliment. She smiled at me and nodded her assent.

Besides, now we know how our daughter would appear. I smiled at her. Seki glared at me with a "I'm going to kick your shin later" face. Eep. She would do it too. My shin ached in ill anticipation. I might have gone a tad too far with my little joke.

Dr Enstad finished her explanations, and no additional queries came from the officers. I waited a few additional seconds before I spoke.

'Okay, people. Do any of you have questions for Dr Enstad?' Everyone turned in my direction. I paced to the table and took the seat at its head.

'Thank you, Dr Enstad,' I said. She took her seat next to Seki's. I looked over the table at the assembled officers. What I observed was a mix of fear and despair.