Chapter 16 Seki and I

Seki floated, her back to me as she looked at my adjusted simulation. I hovered there and stared at her, wondering what to say.

'Forty researchers are trying to solve this puzzle and nothing.' She glanced at me, then at the image.

'You have been working alone for fifteen minutes and this.' She gestured to the images floating above her. 

'How do you do it?' Seki turned and looked at me. Our eyes made contact, and we floated, staring at each other. Neither one of us wanted to speak first. 

Well, this is silly.

'Yes, it is,' she said, smirking.

I folded my arms and narrowed my eyes. 

'You need to stop doing that.' 

'It is not something I can control.' She said and pouted. Seki never pouts. This entire day has been unfamiliar territory with her.

'Is that something you do with everybody?' I asked.

She scowled at me and folded her arms. 

'No, I don't. You are special.' She broke eye contact.

Sek. You love me too, don't you?

'Yes, I do,' she said, and her posture stiffened. 'Dammit.' 

Got ya. 

Seki glared at me. I grinned back.

'What is this about Tomi saying hi?' she said, attempting to change the conversation's direction.

'I dreamt of her, and before she left, she told me to say hi,' I said.

'A dream? Really?' She gave me the "are you insane" look.

'She told me you were telepathic.' I took a deep breath.

'And you sensed the rest of your family die today.' My voice a whisper. Seki's eyes glistened with tears.

'I am sorry Seki, I wasn't aware.' I jetted in closer and hugged her. Seki cried audibly, her body heaving with sobs. I held her close to let the tears and pain flow out of her. A while after her sobs quieted down, she ended the hug. 

I looked deep into Seki's dark brown eyes. 

'Sek, you've had a crappy day, and there is much we must discuss.' 

'But we don't have time for this.' I gave her a handkerchief; She wiped the tears and snot from her face. 

Even with the tears, red eyes, and mucous, Seki looked beautiful to me.

God, I wish I could kiss you, Sek. I pondered without thinking.

She arched her left eyebrow. 'You want to kiss me after that little speech, that's your first thought?' 

Well, it is better than I want to screw you. I thought on purpose.

'Ew,' she said and laughed. We both did, and after today's stress, the levity was good.

Seki eyed me seriously. 'I wish we could do that too.' She gave me a sad smile. Stunned at her statement, I did not respond. 

Seki looked at the simulation again.

 'I longed for us to be forever. Duty and circumstance always prevented that.' Her voice full of emotion.

'Now at possibly humanity's end, duty still blocks the way.' She took a deep breath and slowly exhaled.

'We are not dead yet, Seki,' I said. I pointed at the projection.

'What do you see, XO?' She studied the information before her. Her eyes flared with realisation.

Yes, she sees it.

'They didn't have a God's eye view of things.' 

I smiled. 'Yep.'

'A four-year-old fog of war. Not exactly the best tacticians, are they XO?' 

'No, they are not Captain.' She sounded hopeful. 

'Drew, it means that...'

'Any facility not present four years ago may still be functional,' I said, completing her sentence.

'Yes Sek I believe so.' I was about to say more when my comms chimed. It was Alice. 

'XO, excuse me.' Seki nodded her assent, and I took the call.

'Yes, Alice?'

'I have briefed Lt Cmdr Haberkorn as you ordered, Sir.'

'Has he gone to bed?' 

'He is asleep. I wrote a custom sleep program, and he used it.' 

He-he, Alice, has Haberkorn all wrapped up. Given that one of his underlings could have died if he had not relented to Alice's idea, it was understandable.

Wait, does Alice have me wrapped up? Nah.

[Oh Really?]

Not now Bob!. 

'Okay, Alice, join me and the XO please.'

'Right away, Captain.' Alice shimmered into our shared consciousness and I ambushed her.

'Alice, what are you doing with my ship?' I pointed to Tama Maru's real and projected tracks. Alice became a deep shade of lilac and she bowed her head. The surprised expression on Seki's face meant she saw it, too. 

Okay, I was not expecting this reaction. Seki read my mind and responded first.

'Alice, dear, look at me.' Alice looked at Seki.

'Alice, he is not angry with you. He is the captain, and he must know everything happening on his ship, good and bad.' Seki's voice was comforting. Her lilac hue faded, and she returned to her normal sky blue. 

And the XO for the save. Seki gave me an "I could smack you" glower.

Alice's face still had a pained appearance, and she did not peer in my direction.

'I just wanted to surprise him. To make him proud of me.' her voice low, sad.

I felt like I repossessed some kid's pony.

I wish that I could have touched Alice, to hug her and reassure her further. 

'You need to prove nothing to me.' My voice gentle. She still did not look at me.

Why is Alice taking this so hard? 

'Alice, look at me.' She turned her head to face me.

'You are the best AI I've ever worked with.'

'Your actions have saved the ship and for that, I will be forever grateful.' Alice's face glowed.

'Alice, I need you to continue what you're doing as propulsion goes.'

'Yes, Captain,' 

'Also, I need you to harden our electronics to withstand enhanced EMP attacks. Any solution you discover, run it by Haberkorn first.'

'Yes, Captain.' Alice seemed happier. AIs are always happiest when problem-solving.

'Alice, never forget you're a vital member of this crew.'

Her highlights glowed stronger, and she smiled.

'Yes, Captain, I will remember.'

'Dismissed.' 

'Aye, Captain.' She saluted and disappeared.

Wait, did Alice salute me?

'She is quite attached to you,' Seki said.

'I wasn't aware how attached XO.'

She smiled at me. Seki's smile was amazing. I wished I could see it more often.

I stared at the simulation and sighed. 

So much I don't know and the clock's ticking.

'Well, stop dithering and start,' Seki said, grinning.

I growled at her, and we went back to work.