15. Not So Normal

Start from the beginning

Her phone rang indicating an incoming call the very moment. She opened her eyes and picked it up to look at the caller ID.

"Atif Calling."

And this is how that very normal, very ordinary day wasn't that normal, that ordinary anymore.

___________

Underlining another important looking point, Elaf bookmarked the page and closed the book. It was more than enough for today. The tension for fast approaching exams was in full swing now. The professors weren't letting them off the hook, it was clear. The happening fifth semester was finally coming to an end and Elaf could only hope it would be a happy ending but seeing the work load, she could say it was going to be difficult to attain that.

They were currently sitting in a secluded corner of the café. Sarim had to discuss some points with one of the professors so he was off to that and Hesham also had back to back lectures. It left only Safwa and Elaf so here they were trying their best to study, Elaf surely, Safwa, not so much.

"Seriously, Safi! You need to get back to your reading."

Elaf had had enough. Safwa was sulking and by now it was difficult to ignore. Elaf knew the reason, well most of it. She hadn't asked her phupho more about whatever happened between her and Atif uncle, the whole history of it because her Phupho wasn't inclined towards talking about it much. Safwa had respected her wish but that didn't mean she was okay with it. There was something unfinished about this whole thing, something very far away from a closure and that was bugging Safwa. But Bisma was an adult and Safwa couldn't decide for her.

"I'm reading."

"You've been staring into that tree for almost fifteen minutes now."

"I'm just thinking."

"About what?"

Safwa shook her head.

"Nothing."

"Yeah, and I'm supposed to believe it. Look, Safwa"

Elaf held her hand.

"I know you are disappointed with the turn of events. Honestly, we all are. But we can't make decisions for people specially those who're fully capable of doing that for them. We aren't in a rom-com where we'd try playing cupid just because we think that two people deserve each other. It's not how this works."

"I know, Elaf and I understand every word you've said just now."

"Then what's the problem?"

Safwa opened her mouth to say something. It was Elaf. She could tell her anything she wanted to but Safwa wasn't able to form her thoughts into words that would get to Elaf. She wouldn't be able to understand the unsaid. No one would be.

No one but Izaan Shoaib.

The thought had occurred to Safwa like a bolt of lightning. Elaf was eyeing her changing expressions. At last she sighed with a smile intact on her face.

"It's okay if you're not yet ready to share it with me. But I'd like you to talk it out with someone. It's clearly bothering you and that's not well settled with me."