47. Start Over

The moment Izaan covered the distance between them and embraced her, he felt the puzzle piece had fitted into its rightful place. He closed his eyes and just let this moment turn into an eternity, which wasn't long but eternities shouldn't have to. It's the moment and not the time which seals the forever.

Safwa held him from his shoulders. This wasn't how she was hoping her Friday night would end up but here she was, in the arms of the man she loved and who loved her back but neither he was her man nor was she his woman.

She hid her face in his neck, trying to refresh the familiar scent of his in the dormant crevices of her subconscious. Years came flooding back to her memory. Every glance, every fleeting touch, every said and unsaid word.

Realizations and holding on.

Knowing and letting go.

Safwa opened her eyes.

When was the last time he hugged her like this?

Years back. When they were happily finding pieces of love together, stacking them to make a home. And that home shattered.

And he didn't try saving it.

Safwa slowly raised her head and the moment caused Izaan to look at her. She wasn't looking at him, not directly but something in her stance gave Izaan the hint and taking a step back he ensured the distance between them.

Safwa's eyes were downcast, she was staring at the place which had just formed between them. The empty space. Then she looked up at him.

Izaan's gaze was vulnerable. Saying so much yet guarded. He was certain but Safwa could see the dark clouds looming at the periphery.

"Safwa..."

Izaan whispered and she waited. Waited for him to tell her what this meant. For him to be sure of what he was thinking for once.

But the conflict she saw there had her face crumbled.

She retracted her steps. So far that she was against the railing.

Away from Izaan

And he understood.

He wanted to say so much but words eluded him. Safwa wanted to listen so much but Izaan was as always weighing his options while everything else was weighing him down.

There was no point for this.

She folded her arms on her chest. Didn't look at him. Couldn't look at him.

"You should go."

And he was no fool to not realize what it entailed. He opened his mouth to say something but Safwa turned the other way and Izaan let the silence of unsaid prevail between them.

Words had always been his Achilles heels.

She never needed those.

But sometimes it's not about the need, it's about the necessary.

Izaan slowly turned away to the same path he had just covered in his search for her. The same path he had walked on many times before. Every Time he had her by his side at the end but it wasn't true this time.

Safwa craned her neck and saw him walking away.

And she was suddenly reminiscing the day he left her in that conference hall crying.

After actually leaving her behind as well.

Her eyes were moist and her heart was crying.

But this was necessary.