12. Too Much Work

Jotting down the important points from today's lecture all the while rolling her eyes, that's how Elaf Daud was getting her studying done. The previous week was for the students to enjoy and it seemed the teachers had taken a personal offense to this. The result was there now. Shitload of assignments and projects with the looming dark cloud of upcoming finals. Elaf didn't want a repeat show of the mids when she was clueless about even the syllabus. She wasn't asking Sarim for his notes again. That'd be like feeding off their friendship and Elaf would never do that. After a long time she could say she was surrounded with genuine people and she wanted to avoid anything which could sabotage it. And Sarim was her class fellow only. He was learning from the same teachers she was, taking the same classes she did so if he could do it why couldn't her? And if she started on earlier by the time of exams nothing would be piled up. It was a good thought. Elaf could just hope she'd follow it without getting distracted. Fingers crossed.

She was in the middle of getting the diagram of complicated mechanical process when her phone rang with an incoming call.

"Perfect timing. This is on the universe. I'm trying to make an effort here!"

She grumbled and glanced towards the screen. The next moment the call was answered.

"Where are you?"

Elaf narrowed her eyes. Trust Sarim Haider to ask such stupid question. He was the topper and this was embarrassing.

"I'm pretty sure I'm sitting in my room on my bed trying to study."

A heavy sigh. So unlike Sarim. Elaf was worried now.

"Are you okay? Is there a problem."

"Can you go to Safwa's?"

"Right now?"

"Yes, right now."

"Why? Is she okay? And why are you sounding so worried?"

Sarim ran a hand through his hair. Elaf couldn't see but she had an idea.

"Hesham has broken up with Safwa."

It was a shocker. The way Elaf had gone silent. Sarim couldn't see but he had an idea.

"I'm just putting on my shoes. I'll be there shortly. Are you coming?"

"No, I have an important business to take care with Hesham."

"Don't do anything stupid. You don't know the whole thing."

"I'm going to know that only. I hope he has a good reason for doing what he did."

Elaf couldn't say she was sure about this. Safwa and Hesham...well Elaf had always seen them very comfortable around each other. There was an ease to them which Elaf hadn't seen much in the couples she had encountered on campus. And now coming to know that they had called it quits, it was not an easy thought.

"Just take care of Safwa, hun?"

Elaf smiled.

"I will. You take care of Hesham, hun?"

"I will."