13. Heart Ties

For as long as Rashid was working in this house, he'd become accustomed to the chaos Hesham's room would be in whenever Sarim and Izaan visited. Not that Hesham was any better without their aid, he was a messy person who always knew how to locate his things in the pile of his mess; making it all the more difficult for him to actually make an effort in tidying up his room without any assistance.

It wasn't just the mess Rashid was habitual to, the roars of laughter and whining, the feigned outcry of defeat and what not. This trio wasn't quiet to begin with and Rashid had become okay with that.

But today was different. Since the time they'd come and gone to Hesham's room, there was an awkward silence. No shouting and no calls for Rashid for more snacks. It was weird and Rashid was scared.

Upstairs, in Hesham's room the situation was as tensed as Rashid had sensed it. Hesham was sitting on his beanbag with his eyes focused on Izaan who was leaning against the wardrobe with his hands tucked in his pant pockets. Sarim was agitatedly drumming against the table close to the window to release the tension he was feeling. What started as playful had turned serious the time they had entered through the door to Hesham's room. It was maybe the realization that there was no escaping from questions and legit feelings. No one had opted for broaching the subject. It could go either way from here. It wasn't awkward. It was just tensed.

But for how long?

"Will you enlighten me what you two are actually waiting for?"

Sarim was annoyed now. He was the kind of person who didn't like unfinished business especially among people who he held dear to his heart. He always wanted them to resolve the issues, not that they had many to begin with but this situation was different from anything they had dealt with.

Hesham looked at Izaan. There was a determination to his stance and it irked Hesham.

"You must know what's happened the past week."

Izaan didn't look up, just nodded slightly.

"I don't think that was something for you to go disappear. Breakup was mine and Safwa's not yours."

"I didn't disappear."

Finally. He talks.

"You went on a vacation to the morgue?"

Hesham's snide tone earned him a glare from Izaan. Sarim was sitting there with a straight face.

"I was busy."

"You were avoiding."

"And why would I do that?"

"Ask yourself. If I said out loud you'll not like it."

Izaan eyed him and ease he saw there made him uncomfortable. He got up making Hesham heave an exasperated sigh. Who said words were needed here. This little exchange had told both of them what they wanted to know and convey.

"I need to get going. As I said I'm busy."

Izaan's way of dealing with the issue was rubbing both Sarim and Hesham the wrong way. Sarim wasn't trying to show it but Hesham would never hide it anyway.