37. Unsaid

Mrs. Durrani placed her tea cup on the table and leaned against the bed. She had a habit of having evening tea in her room. But today she wasn't alone. She looked at her oldest son and they had a conversation without even saying anything. Maybe living together all your lives forms this kind of understanding. But it was sure that both of them were conspiring something and the target was the person sitting in front of them.

Daud's eyes were downcast. He hadn't uttered a word since he came into his mother's room when he was called by her.

"I have been warning you against this only, and for how long? You never took me seriously."

His head bent some more. He was ashamed and he didn't have to voice it out for the people around him to know. Good. It would be easier to convince him this way. Mrs. Durrani put her concentration back on the matter in hand.

"Did you know?"

She knew he didn't. But she had to build the premise to kill two birds with one stone. He just shook his head. This was one of the many things he was hurt and angry about. He was kept in the dark about something he didn't even approve of.

"What about Yusra?"

Daud thought for a while. Then shook his head.

"She also had no idea."

"I find it hard to believe. She didn't look shocked enough when we found the cover story in the newspaper. But anyways, that's not our place to judge."

She folded her hands as if what we were going to say, she was building up the whole conversation towards this point only.

"Look, Daud. No matter what happened today or has been happening for so long, I've never seen Elaf differently from my other grandchildren. She is as dear to me as Ruman, Sabeera, Sumreen, Areeba and Aun are. But this is also a fact that your daughter has never seen us as her family, as her people. Is it the doing of her own fabricated notions about us or your wife's upbringing, I can't be sure. Also, have you seen her attitude? This is not the way of the women of our family, especially our daughters. She's doing each and everything that no one from this clan ever thought of doing. But we still love her and still think of her as one of our own."

"Ammi Jaan, I ask for your forgiveness on her behalf. She's just a child. She doesn't understand what she is doing."

"She's almost twenty two, Daud. An age mature enough to be sane and not making rash choices."

Daud pursed his lips. He honestly had nothing to say to justify what had happened today. He himself was coming to terms with it.

"Going there and performing in front of hundreds of people, that is not at all acceptable. I'm regretting letting you ever cross the threshold of this house to go and make your own world. What it has done to your child! She didn't even think of her sick father."

She sighed.

"It's necessary for her to stay with the family to know her boundaries. Moreover it is important for her to have a strong footing so that she can rely on someone and that will bring a positive change in her. Your brother.."

She pointed towards Aleem who nodded, giving his agreement on whatever she was about to say.

"Thinks the same and we have come to the conclusion that Elaf's engagement with Ruman will make things better."

Daud looked confused and somewhat unconvinced for the first time. It wasn't hidden from his mother but she hadn't come here to lose.

"You know, Ruman, Daud. Isn't he a good young man?"