Prologue

December 31st, 2021

The glow of the moon was more illuminating than usual. Maybe all the merry making had reached it as well and it was taking its part in the happiness scattered around. The clouds were trying their best to obscure it, but the silver rays were having a mind of their own. They fell around casting their soft glow on everything they could reach. The window of the lonely bedroom of small house at the edge of the locality included.

The ray reflected from the tinted glass of the window pane. This was not a wise choice to keep the wind coming in this cold last night of December but wise choices and this room never went hand in hand. The study table to the left of the window was a mess of haphazardly strewn papers, a few of which were blank, the remains of the struggle to scribble something across those was clearly visible. The chair in front of the table was occupied and from the looks of it the person sitting in it was a stark contrast to the jubilant atmosphere of the world outside.

With a deep sigh, she pushed the papers away and held her face in her palm. Preparing for this interview was proving to be a task she was finding way more difficult than she had thought of. As she came out of the daze of her worry the nip in the room left a shudder going through her. She immediately got up and started pulling the window panes together. Oh, she was such an idiot. Her chattering teeth were enough to tell her. As she tried fastening the bolt her eyes caught the sight of the few teenage boys outside in the street. They were running around in their bikes tugging themselves in their jackets to ward off the cold. A slow smile reached her lips and her hands stopped where they were. Something had shifted within her. Was she this isolated from her surroundings that she didn't even know when new year eve came and was now almost over?

The answer was a yes, a sad yes but a yes nevertheless. Her feet took her to her study table as if in a trance. The drawer at the bottom of it opened after she had given it a strong tug. Its hinges were stuck due to the lack of use.

Inside was an old journal. Sticky notes were peeking out of its worn out pages. The binding had thrown open at few places.

She caressed the cover lightly, her touch was feather like as if just trying to stay on the surface. Not to go in deep because deep wasn't suitable. Wasn't possible. Wasn't for her.

The moment had lasted for such a short span. Whatever was curling within her became still and she closed the drawer with a soft click.

This drawer was like looking through a mirror, the kind of which shows you worlds long gone, worlds never coming back. Worlds you are no longer a part of.

Covering herself with the shawl she switched off the lamp and the room bathed in the darkness. The moonlight was still gazing inside but its presence was as neglected as before.

________________

New Year eve means a very happening night duty where people can't stop getting into bizarre accidents and getting themselves in danger. The majority of the population coming into the ER was of teenagers. Some of them even drunk because of the nightly escapade with friends and there's no rocket science what teenagers do when they are left alone together.

As he bandaged a sobbing fifteen year old, his scowl didn't leave his face. The last hours of his duty were rolling in and he couldn't wait to just get out of here. He loved his job, was completely honest with it but he kind of hated irresponsible people and all those coming to ER at this time were not that good at exhibiting the proper respect for responsibility.