25B. Everyday

Rubbing his wet hair with the towel, Izaan stood in front of the mirror and started running a comb through it in his careless manner. He was humming a low tone and that made Memoona very amused as she knocked at his door and getting a busy answer in the form of humming, got inside.

"Izzu, You are going somewhere?"

He nodded, picking up his stuff from the bed. He was the tidiest among her three kids. And this was something she both admired and was thankful for. It meant less hassle and mess. She was a desi mother after all. It made her happy.

"We all are hanging out together after a long time."

"All five of you?"

"Ahan."

Memoona was interestingly looking at how he was in such a good mood. It wasn't just the vibe of Sunday or meeting his close friends after a long time. It was something more than that. Everyone could say that.

"Amma, what are you looking at?"

"My handsome son who's looking extra handsome today."

He shook his head.

"You guys did the right thing by planning this hangout today. I think I have some cookies I baked in the morning. I should pack those too."

"Amma, there's no need for that."

"I'm not packing those for you anyway so you just stay quiet. Safi loves those.. I've mastered the art of baking cookies all thanks to her."

He wanted to roll his eyes but instead a smile had reached his lips. It wasn't the prospect of the cookies, but the person his mother had just mentioned.

He didn't know why but lately he had started associating happiness with her a lot. She was that only. A breath of fresh air and something close to home.

"I should go and start packing cookies for you."

The mere mention of her had filled his heart with so much warmth.

He was happy. These days he was smiling.

This was nice and he didn't want it to ever end.

The last thought had slowly made him come out of his dazed state altogether.

It happened all the time. Whenever he delved too deep in the newly found euphoria, he felt someone, or something pulling his back ashore. The smile had gone from his face. Instead, a thoughtful expression was settled there.

Safwa made him happier than he ever was.

But was he allowed to be this happy?

Was he allowed to feel so much?

And why was she such a vital part of his life now?

She'd been there for quite sometime now then why these days he's feeling like the time spent with her is never enough?

These thoughts clouded his mind whenever he was alone and he always pushed them to the back of his mind because finding the answers to those was risky and right now he just wanted to stay above the trouble waters. But for how long? Someday or the other he'd have to address these whisperings of his heart seriously and he was sure that day wouldn't be as easy as it was today.