42. Homecoming

Hejab felt her limbs getting sagged the way she was snuggled into Zonish's bed. The blanket covering her was warm and so was the mug of hot chocolate in her hand. She took a sip and then laughed lightly.

"You still can't get it right."

Zonish glanced at her and then shrugged. Not everyone has taste oozing out of their fingers. No biggie.

"How's it going though? At your end. It's been a long time since we had a sister to sister talk."

Zonish snorted.

"That's a given seeing your energizer bunnies take up all your time. From where do these midgets even get this much stamina? They played for almost ten hours or more today. I was exhausted by just looking at them."

Hejab gave her sister a mock glare and then chuckled. A year into her marriage with Daniyal and she had gotten the news of being pregnant. It wasn't unexpected. But still it came at a point where Hejab wasn't thinking much about it. It was a pleasant experience for her. Daniyal was happy with how things were progressing. Hejab was off work for an indefinite time but that was needed. Daniyal's love and support made things a cakewalk, well, as much as pregnancy and childbirth can get.

She didn't have any set career goal when she got married. She just knew at one point she would seriously use her LLB. But life panned out differently and she let it make ways for her. After Ibrahim she was blessed with Anas and from there on started the proper course of motherhood. She had a supportive husband and family. They encouraged her to go with her career as well but she refused. She felt it wasn't the right time for that. She had never been quite a good multitasker so one thing at a time. When Ibrahim turned four and Anas three, she finally felt that now she could venture into other areas as well and that's when she started practicing. And right now she was managing everything pretty fine. She was a great mother, a good lawyer and in all this she hadn't lost what she had with Daniyal. They were still in love and Hejab felt it had just gotten better over the years.

"You bash them so much but they still can't stop praising their Zoni Khala."

Zonish tried hiding it but a smile appeared on her lips. Hejab loved this camaraderie her kids shared with their one and only aunt. Zonish was all no nonsense from outside but her heart was so pure and unblemished when it came to giving love in her own way. With a scowl on her face and her lips turned upwards. Typical Zonish. No sunshine still her warmth was better than the blanket Hejab was snuggling into.

"They just know how to butter their way through everything."

"And you let them. Always."

Zonish shook her head and then leaned against the pillow. She looked at Hejab through her glasses. Hejab was happy in her life and Zonish was too. But what Zonish missed the most was this sister time which had become scarce in their lives.

"Visit more often, Hejab. The house feels livelier."

That was the closest to 'I miss you' Hejab was going to get out of her sister but that was enough, knowing Zonish, it was more than enough.

"Really? I thought you didn't want anyone to interrupt what you and Baba have going on. Making up for years of lack of communication."

"Who gave you that idea? Nah. You have always been the link between me and Baba."

Hejab smiled warmly at that.

"How do you feel about that though? After all these years, finally being able to have an understanding with your father?"

Zonish considered her question and then shrugged. It had been long. It still felt surreal at times how far she and Tabrez had come but it was part of the norm now.