One

"Leaving is your answer", I screamed. I'm so mad that I can't control my shaking.

"What else do you want me to do? We can't make this work. I've tried to be this husband that you want. I can't do it", Steve says calmly.

"Five years and now you figure out that this won't work. I could have told you that in high school. I fucking hate you and this new direction you think is going to save you", I screamed. I knew we were done but I needed to yell and scream. I wanted him to feel as stupid as I did through this whole sham of a marriage. I stand up and flip the kitchen table over.

"Okay now stop", he yelled and grabbed my arm.

"Now you can touch me. I should have gotten mad years ago", I screeched in his face. I watch him back away from me and walk to the door.

"The house will go on the market as soon as possible. We can use the money to pay off the combined debts. You know it's for the best", he said and walked out of the house. It was the last day I cried over a my bullshit marriage.

Three months later:

"Mykel come to the office. Please", I hear Shelly ask over the intercom. I walk up to the office and lean on her desk. She nods to the front door and I see my soon to be ex husband standing outside.

"I'll be right back", I said and pulled my head phones off my ears. She gives me a small smile and watches me. I open the door and he nods at me.

"What's up Steve", I asked and look into his eyes.

"Here's the papers. Our lawyers finished them up this morning. Can you please sign them. I need to leave on Sat.", he said and handed me a huge envelope.

"Come sit with me in here and I will go over them and sign them", I said and we went into the office. Shelley glanced at us and I grab a pen off her desk. We sit at an available desk and I quickly go through the papers. I don't find anything that I want to fight about. I sign at each arrow that I need too. I put everything back into the envelope and hand it to him.

"Thank you", he said and stood up. "Take care of yourself".

"You too. Be careful saving the world", I said and we both stand. He gets to the door and turns to me.

"I did love you. I hope you know that... Goodbye Mykel", he said and was gone. I sit down and put my head in my hands.

"Are you okay", Shelly asked.

"Yeah, just feels weird to know I'm no longer married. To be honest it feels really shitty", I said and stood up.

"If you need anything let me know. I love ya girl", she said. I smile at her and shake my head yes.

"Love you too", I said and went back to work. I put my headphones on and let the music take me away. I finish with the orders I needed to pull and start to box them up.

"Hey Mykel", Shelly yells in my direction. I turn to her and pull my ear phones out.

"What's up", I asked?

"It's eight are you going to leave work tonight", she asks with a smile.

"Oh yeah. Jeez I had no idea it was this late. Sorry", I said and grabbed my coat. I clock out and go into the office. She was gathering her stuff to go home also.

"Want to get something to eat", she asks.

"No thanks. I just want to go home. soak in a hot tub and go to sleep. How about we do lunch tomorrow", I said.

"Of course. Just remember you can talk to me and if you need anything let me know", she said and touched my arm.. I smile and stop at my car.

"Thank you Shelly. I do appreciate your friendship. I will be okay", I said and sat in my car. I watch to make sure she gets in her car okay and it starts. We both pull out and head in opposite directions. I pull into the driveway of my Mom and Step dad's house. I take a deep breathe and go into the house. I take my shoes off and softly walk to my room.