Still in the works

A/N: Here's a snippet of the next book. It's still very much in the works, so, I apologise. Enjoy!
_________________________________________

Colonel Williams sat back in his chair as he watched the Redskins on the small box in his office. He had grown up a true soccer fanatic, but at the age of twelve, there had come a time in every sports fanatic's life when they had to choose sides. His loyalties were divided between hockey and soccer. In the end, he went with the latter.

It was good too. It brought out the champion in his twenty year old son, Bryan, who (he was proud to say) was the captain of his soccer team back when he was a sophomore. Although he had liked for his son to join the army, or more specifically, the Navy, it never crossed his mind. However, everyone has their own interests and he knew from personal experience that there was no point in forcing something on someone.

The phone beside him rang and the Colonel picked it up to his ear, his eyes never leaving the game. "Williams speaking."

"Colonel, there's some good news and some bad news."

"Good news first."

"Well, SK-526Z was on time for the departure." SK-526Z was his pride and joy. Given the name Legacy, she was a beast that was built to withstand the harsh whether of the terrains. He had built it with his bare hands back in 1970 when he had graduated fresh from the military.

"Good. Remember to warn the men on board about the thick fog. It could affect their navigation."

"That's the bad news." Williams furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. The next few words would hit him like a brick.

"She's gone, sir."

"What do you mean she's gone?"

"She's up and gone. We sent her on her way at 10.30AM sharp just as planned. She was sailing just fine for the first few minutes, but something went wrong. We were in contact with the men on board, with them updating us on their status every now and then. Then, the signal started getting jammed. The line went static that eventually went flat."